USB A connector fail?

Hi,

I went to pull some photos off a memory card using one of these dinky "5,976-in-1" (memory) card readers. Windows machine kept complaining about a hardware failure. And, the little idiot lights kept misbehaving in the device.

At first, I suspected a fault in the cable as it *seemed* that the way in which I mated the cable with the PC affected how the device (mis)performed.

But, on closer inspection, it appeared that some of the *foil* in the connector may have been worn away (!). As such, the "mating event" might appear to the PC to be dubious -- as if the cable was being inserted and withdrawn multiple times and in quick succession.

To test this, I put a short "extension cable" on the device and tried to mate *this* with the PC. No problems.

This device doesn't see much use -- or abuse. Certainly far less than a thumbdrive! So, should I attribute this to someone using

0.00000000001 oz copper in the connector? Anyone else see something similar? [I'll disassemble the device to see if I can swap out the entire cord and salvage it]
Reply to
Don Y

On Sun, 17 May 2015 04:21:11 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

Jeez, Don! What is your personal time worth?

A 'broken' cheap memory card reader is not worth "fixing".

Buy a *new* POS cheap chinese multi-card reader, and be done with the current POS.

If it is a uSD chip type device, buying a new one typically comes with a USB reader adapter.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno