US8

Whatever group of criminals invented the US8 package, should have to spend the rest of their lives together in a really, really tiny jail cell.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Dear sir,

Get over it. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

US8 design committee.

Reply to
US8 design committee

Specifically, what don't you like about USB? My only complaint is that it sticks out of laptops, which could break easily. If i made the laptop, i would have recessed connector with cover. The question is how big should the space allow for.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Precision electronic instrumentation

You are allowed one phone call.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Oh, sorry, it's US8, not USB. I must be going blind.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I fretted over how far various USB dongles stuck out of the side of my laptop, particular when the laptop was on an aircraft fold-down table.

Then I found these right angled cables...

I also use a variety of these at home around routers and switches to ease the tangle. ...Jim Thompson

Probably just insufficient caffeine levels.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I'm currently struggling with hand-soldering some flip-chip parts that don't come in any other package. I'd love to have a package like that instead.

What's your gripe?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

What's so horribly wrong with it? It's the same lead pitch (0.5mm) as the TQFP100 and that's been around almost forever...

OTOH, a SOT883 (the package that a BAT54CM dual diode comes in) is really tiny. Sorta like 0.35mm lead pitch, only that it doesn't even have real "leads" anymore.

Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

I second that opinion. I have broken laptop USB ports because of that. The connector inside the laptop is surface mounted and so the solder connection will come loose with repeated, light impacts. Even normal usage will eventually break a surface mount connector loose.

On top of that the USB device, even just a cable connector, sticks out far too much. Even the nano mouse dongle sticks out some... that should be bluetooth which doesn't stick out at all, lol

--

Rick
Reply to

OK, you guys have hijacked my US8 thread and spun it into a USB thread.

Everything should be wireless.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Looks to me like you have abandoned the thread. You were asked what you didn't like about the US8 package and I didn't see a reply. If you abandon a thread, you can't complain about someone else using it.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'd like to see a right angle connector come on the laptop power supplies. In most of my uses, it would save a lot of stress on the connector. Mikek

amdx

That was my thought, and no I haven't gone over to The Dark Side. :-) Mikek

amdx

Ever tried to handle 01005-size packages? That's what I am looking forward to for August. I don't even want to think about it but I am going to have to.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have laptops with right angle power connectors in normal use it is fine but if you pull on the cord it is much more likely to damage the connector instead of just pulling out

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Well, look like we hit a nerve and brought out all the subconscious complaints with USB connectors.

Or perhaps it's just laptop design in general, both USB and power connectors should recess back into the case with more mechanical supports.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Is there a reason why you can't have the board assembled by machine? Hand assembly with parts that small is a bit absurd although I suppose still possible.

I know someone who will have a P&P machine that sits idle for two thirds of the day. Maybe you can get time on it for cheap.

--

Rick
Reply to

Hang on there - I posted about having trouble with this size chip (but with 10 pins) and everyone said it was "easy" and solder bridges could be wicked away - what changed?

Reply to
David Eather