US Patent Office Site - Image Viewer Problem

I visited the USPTO website today (using Mozilla Firefox) and got a message that Quicktime Plug-In installation was required.

Quicktime is already installed on my machine, but I clicked the install-plug-in box anyway. But it won't install, getting a "manual install" message. That doesn't work either.

Fired up IE, it just shows the "no image" symbol.

Ideas? Or alternative plug-ins?

...Jim Thompson

I was about to say, before you so rudely cut me off, that AlternaTiff works for the USPTO site.

Irfanview is great for viewing saved tiff files, too. I just wish it would view Autocad files.

John

I remembered AlternaTIFF, tracked it down, and installed as a Firefox Plug-in.

...Jim Thompson

I installed the AlternaTIFF plug-in for Firefox. Working just fine.

...Jim Thompson

;-) I installed the AlternaTIFF plug-in for Firefox. Working just fine.

...Jim Thompson

I don't have Quicktime installed and I don't have any problem searching at the site. Maybe you should uninstall it.

Reply to
rickman

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'US Patent Office Site - Image Viewer Problem', on Thu,

24 Feb 2005:

If you do find a way to get into the site, patent it. (;-)

John Woodgate

[snip]

Hi, Paul. Thanks for the tip.

...Jim Thompson

I just installed QT 6 and asked for the "custom" install as I usually do with software. I noticed that there was a checkbox for "TIFF file viewer". You may have to upgrade your QT or you may have to reinstall and do the "custom" route, making sure that TIFF viewer checkbox is checked.

Paul

Jim Thomps> I visited the USPTO website today (using Mozilla Firefox) and got a

Reply to
Paul Rako

Use AlternaTiff (I wonder if I spelled this right), and it may only work with Internet Explorer and Netscape. AlternaTiff is one of two plug-ins recommended by the USPTO.

I recommend using Internet Explorer, clicking on links in the USPTO website that mention these plug-ins, and going on from there.

Been there, done that, although I don't remember every step in detail.

One complaint - at least sometimes need to do this again after upgrading the web browser.

One reason why this happens: TIF images for patents are often to normally a specific subtype of TIF, as in 2-color black-and-white and compressed with the "CCITT Group 4 (2d) Fax" compression - there are at least 3 other TIF compressions.

Windows Imaging will display this kind of TIF, but I don't know how to make a web browser take advantage of this.

Don Klipstein