US COVID-19 Infections Back on Track

Saturday we had a bit of good news in that the new infection rate was lower than Friday. But Sunday's rate was back close to the 3 day doubling trend. We'll see what Monday brings.

So we are back to the 30% per day, doubling in 3 days and 10x in ~9 days.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Data collected in Ontario has revealed that the bulk of viral detections occurred so far in travellers to the US - not China or Europe.

Per-capita test rates in Canada are an order of magnitude above that in the US, so far.

As a canary in the cage, up until the middle of last week, it would be fair to simply multiply Canadian infection and death counts x10, to reflect the population scale, to suggest actual rates in the US at that time, in lieu of actual testing in the US.

After border controls and local suppression, this may no longer be true.

RL

Reply to
legg

I note, that as testing ramps up, the ratio of new case detections is now 80:1, (vs 10:1 US:Canada population). This may reflect the US back-log.

RL

Reply to
legg

Sorry, but doesn't it makes sense there are a lot more travelers between the US and Canada than Canada and overseas countries? So it would only make sense the majority of infections in travelers would be returning from the US, no?

Sure, to measure infection rates in the US why not sample China in which case our infection rates are hugely low and we can consider removing some of the restrictions.

:)

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

- only if the US was not, as claimed during that time, unaffected by the world-wide spread.

RL

Reply to
legg

Sorry, when is this time??? What exactly is your point? I've lost the thought.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

er than Friday. But Sunday's rate was back close to the 3 day doubling tre nd. We'll see what Monday brings.

The Monday rate was back to the exponential growth although a bit below the original exponential constant. The number from Tuesday is about the same. Looks like the new infections are now growing at 10% instead of 30%, so w e might finally be having an impact from our efforts.

If I had the time to spend on it I would break that down by state. Not sur e where I'd dig out the data though. worldometers.info doesn't provide pas t data for states. The way they present their data table is a bit odd. I never know when they update things. It seems like the total changes once p er day, but the "New Cases" changes on the fly, so that can't be used for c onstructing a table.