Urgent: Need help in Power Electronics and PIR sensors

I am working on a project and nearing its deadline and still stuck in few problems ... can anyone help out?

I needed a transil diode for my circuit protection and I am having trouble acquiring it (surprising! isn't it) and for time been I am doing it with a Zener but I know it wont be enough when it get tougher i.e. when a high voltage transient gets in... so can anybody suggest me a solution or alternative. I actually needed SA5.0A unipolar transil diodes but can anyone suggest any other having same characteristics(like 600W 57Amps 5.8V clamp and 6.8V breakdown) or a zener perhaps would do?

can anyone tell me if I could use a VDR (voltage dependent resistor) instead of a MOV(metal oxide varistor)

one more thing.. does any one know a triac or like wise that requires low triggering current like 1 or 2 mA and PIR (pyroelectric infrared sensor) thats cheap and easily available

Reply to
fskhan

(1) You can get SA5.0A from the distributor Digikey

in DO15 or axial package from Littelfuse, ON Semiconductor or Diodes Inc. The have stock now i just checked it. It takes a few days once you=B4ve made the order and the price is quite good even if you order a few samples.

(2) I have always heard VDR (voltage dependent resistors) to be another name for varistors (variable resistors).

(3) Whether you can use a standard zener or not instead of a TVS diode depends on the lines you are protecting and what you are protecting them against. If they are high-speed lines (i.e. communications) then you shouldn=B4t use a normal zener in general because of its higher capacitance as compared to that of a TVS. Also a TVS is much faster (typ 1ns). But if the only problem is the power capability then I can=B4t think of any big problem because when we say a 600W TVS it usually means 600W during 1ms or that order of magnitude.

(4) I don=B4t know of any triacs with gate currents lower than 10-20mA at all operation temperatures but there may exist. This current decreases with temperature so be careful to ensure proper operation.

fskhan ha escrito:

Reply to
El Zorro