"Upside-down" wall sockets

I'm in Switzerland and I hate them. Often, I can't see how they are oriented and I have to fumble blindly to get the plug in. If the pin layout is asymmetric, then so should be the plug body.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

In this type of plugs the protection is two-fold: the pins have insulated sleeves, but the plug also goes in a recess in the socket that prevents contact to the pins from the side.

This is not present in US plugs/sockets.

Reply to
Rob

Like USB A... what a dumb design.

Reply to
Rob

Well, if it does, it'll short to safety ground and trigger the GFI.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Let's ban cars, I see more deaths from car use than electrocutions and fires from 2 prong outlets. Life is dangerous, AC outlet design is not high on my list of worries, it ranks below excess government regulation. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It isn't clear which you mean by "it", but in the UK your statement should say "... trigger the GFI, if any is fitted".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Here most outlets don't have ground, and if they have it is hardly ever used because most things are sold with a schuko plug that doesn't connect to ground in a Danish outlet. GFI is mandatory

and yet people are not getting electrocuted left and right

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So you're saying that the object came before the reason?

AIUI it's required in many places.

Please read it first.

You're the one making the absurd causality claim. It's your job to defend it.

Reply to
krw

Like that's going to help anyone.

Reply to
krw

Den onsdag den 9. november 2016 kl. 15.05.40 UTC+1 skrev Boris Mohar:

you don't think the water would be grounded already?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Having had a flood in my basement bad enough to rise to the outlets, I can say from experience that... this isn't it. If you have that much water in your house that it's up to the outlets, "safe" isn't a word you're going to be using much, unless you pair it with "not".

For the curious, all the GFCIs tripped, and a few circuit breakers, leaving only the UPSs running, and one of the things those were powering was in the water :-P

One thing I was NOT thinking was "which way are my outlets?". I was more like "Holy crap this is dangerous!"

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Nice outlet, it looks like a smiley... But indeed its coexistence with schuko may be a bit troublesome...

Reply to
Rob

and it comes in different versions:

for IT:

for medical:

or double with no ground:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I had hoped that we had moved past the day when people would question the orientation of outlets, or arbitrarily assign at installation an orientation based on whether they would end up in a hospital or a home.

Receptacle orientation is clearly a social construct and varies across time and place.

--sp

Reply to
speff

And in different frames of reference. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So, you're expecting to have power still on AND 12+ inches of water AND the bottom of the "taller" neutral blade above the bottom of the "hot" blade AND the yoke for the receptacle ungrounded AND a plastic jbox?

Reply to
Don Y

In addition to all of the wire or metal object falling reasons that have been mentioned, I also heard that the finger most likely to accidentally touch a prong in the thumb, and since you mostly hold the plug with the thumb on top, if you should accidently touch a prong it will be the ground.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Good grief, another "mine's bigger than yours" from a lefty in right-pondia.

Reply to
krw

I think there is something to that. I have been shocked by 120 VAC any number of times and I'm still here. But then a lot of the fatal aspect has to do with what part of the body the current passes through. Still, you get a lot more current from a 240 line than a 120 line given the skin resistance.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Apples and Oranges. I'm in the US.

Actually the ones requiring a ground pin aren't compatible with double insulated devices with two prong connectors. The latest is an outlet that only allows insertion when both prongs enter the two slots simultaneously.

--

Rick C
Reply to