Update your XP machine

Malware exploiting the vulnerability will be hitting the 'net in the next 48 hours

Reply to
bitrex

Here is a de-crustified link:

Reply to
bitrex

Thanks! Links to the patch are in the article.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

But the article doesn't say if you're still vulnerable with Remote Desktop disabled.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Take it on faith regarding Microsoft, that disabling that service will bake absolutely NO difference.

There have been numerous programs for remote access and computer control for years. Even runs on XP despite being designed for Win7; never tried any of them in Win2K.

Robert Baer

If you've got an XP machine on the Internet, you already have more malware than you need.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Both my office and home desktops run XP. One of the laptops I drag around in my car runs Vista. I have had problems, but not with malware. Malwarebytes and Avast are sufficient to keep the forces of evil at a distance. What has gone wrong is that some of the software that I use quite often, will not run or update on XP. Specifically, Adobe products, Firefox, TurboTacks, Skype, drivers for the latest printers and hardware, etc. I have no plans to go down with a sinking ship, and am slowly and painfully migrating the important programs to various machines running later Windoze mutations.

XP market share is less than 1% and falling: However Windoze 7 still has 33% market share. It's been about 5 years since Microsoft stopped admitting that they wrote XP. I might switch to Windoze 7 and junp ship when it sinks in 5 years.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

just install linux and stop the insanity

Reply to
bitrex

I've watched as newly-installed XP systems got infected less than ten seconds after getting an IP address for the first time.

I still use some XP too, but it's virtualised in a host-only networking environment that's behind reasonable firewalls.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

skype only updates on windows 10 machines.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

  • -----------------^-- use Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0
  • Adobe? The video players seem to work and insist on updates, which also seem to work. Never tried to find the most "modern" Acrobat reader as i use Acrobat 4.0 for PDF R/W. When the more "modern" PDFs crash it (still rare), i use the Foxit reader.
Robert Baer

Yes..then no Windoz programs operate properly.

Robert Baer

There is no use for Skype these days, except to contact people who refuse to upgrade to anything else.

Telegram, Signal, Any of the browser-based WebRTC clients (I like

WebRTC is better than Skype ever was, it's built-in to your browser, and once connection is established it doesn't route traffic through any 3rd party snooper^H^H^H^H^Herver.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I use some Windows programs, mostly Mathcad, LTspice, and Diptrace, but some others as well. They all run fine under wine in three flavours of Linux.

With some programs you do have to figure out which DLLs are needed, but that's not a big problem for a technical person.

MS's current EULA would allow them to access anything on my computers. A lot of what I do is covered by NDAs and court protective orders, so there could be serious legal consequences (including jail) if I let MS do that.

No, thanks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Windows 10 is really pretty good. I don't know anyone who has any valid complaints about it. Of course saying that will bring all the creepy crawlies out of the wood work. Still, what do you have against it? It seems pretty tameable to me.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I thought Adobe had set an expiration date for Flash. It won't be around much longer. I don't use it anymore. If a site requires it, I find another site. They invented HTML5 for a reason.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I use whatever my customers use. If they run Windoze, I run Windoze. However, that may soon change. I've been trying to retire for the last year or so with little success. Eventually, it will happen. The Windoze machines will probably remain because I don't plan to just dump all my current Windoze customers. However, for my own personal abuse, Linux is definitely in the plan. I currently have two Mint

19.1 machines running the MATE desktop. I also have a motley assortment of Raspberry Pi boards running mostly Raspbian Stretch and old laptops running various light weight Linux versions. Most of the Windoze software that I need runs nicely under Wine. Others, like MS Office, can be replaced by Linux equivalents. I'm having a few problems running Steam games but am finding Valve Proton a big improvement:

In theory, switching from Windoze to Linux will eventually be only a matter of moving my user files from my Windoze machines to my Linux machines.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

nd in my car runs Vista. I have had problems, but not >with malware. Malw arebytes and Avast are sufficient to keep >the forces of evil at a distanc e. What has gone wrong is that >some of the software that I use quite ofte n, will not run or >update on XP.

Well of course part of it is product development but then that is always do ne for one reason. Plus "they" are all in it together. "You must buy an upd ated version of this program to run in Windows ___". Then we got "this prog ram will not run in Windows ___, you must update your operating system". Th en, "This hardware does not meet the system requirements of Windows ___ so you need to update your computer". Then "This motherboard requires Windows ___ or higher".

Why aren't you on the merry go round ? You got good enough credit to buy a new PC every month. (actually not doing that is probably one of the reasons you do, and don't ask how I know, if you do I'll email you how) You are a guru, a thaumaturge, you should have something about two steps up from the best ones the government has. Here we have a guy who can explain how a phas ed array antenna works but is a Luddite. I bet your car is ten years old. Y ou don't by chance still have a turntable... (I do)

Adobe is worse than even the old Creative Labs back in the 1990s. They actu ally still own the shit and if you lose the disk you might as well throw th eir hardware in the trash. However Acrobat Reader is portable up to at leas t version 6.

Firefox 52, AFAIK is the last version that will run in XP. It comes portabl e, you just run the EXE. At least that's what I did. there is an update for it and I would have to assume it works in XP because 52 is almost specific ally for XP. If it will update on Vista I bet I can just copy it to the XP box(es) and it just runs. the update IS an installable. Why ? Ask them.

Then don't file taxes and when they bust your door down tell them to call B ill Gates.

Everyone I know is ugly.

I buy printers that last.

ly migrating the important programs to various >machines running later Wind oze mutations.

Seems like most of the time you have to run the 32 bit OS for that. There i s an XP emulator for Windows 7 Pro from Microsoft which will run older prog rams and according to some even 32 bit XP will run in 64 bit 7 and run 32 b it programs plus whatever else XP can be made compatible to. I have found v ery little it can't and I got software back to the DOS days. One is Dataeas e and I am surprised it can handle the NTFS file system. This IS DOS. I wou ld like to have a version of Xtree Gold that'll run in XP. (or better)

I am in the 1% ? Wow. Man I only work about ten hours a week. I must be doi ng something right...

ince Microsoft stopped admitting that they wrote XP. >I might switch to Wi ndoze 7 and junp ship when it sinks in 5 >years.

Me too. I just will not put up with 10.

Reply to
jurb6006

With all the necessary XP updates? I've done the same thing by putting the XP box on the internet without a protective firewall. As I vaguely recall, it took about an hour without a firewall. With a proper (router) firewall, no malware. Browsing random web sites is another story. Without malware protection, the machine was infected fairly quickly, mostly by hijacked web sites distributing adware or weird extensions. Installing Malwarebytes (registered version) eliminated that problem. Of my 3 working XP machines, I haven't had a malware or virus problem for years.

Methinks the firewall might explain why XP still works. One of my Linux boxes has an XP VM installed. However, I don't use it sufficiently to know if it's adequately protected.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Wrong. I'm on a Win 7 machine right now. Skype was updated yesterday to 8.45.0.41. Microsloth has discontinued support to many older products including XP, but Win 7 and 8.1 are still supported:

"Which Skype enabled devices or platforms are no longer supported?" Looks like they haven't gotten around to officially pounding the nails into the XP coffin yet. That gives me some hope that XP support might be raised from the dead.

"What are the system requirements for Skype?" Skype (version 8) on Windows Desktop requires: Windows 10 Version 1507 or above Windows 8.1 Windows 8 Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit versions supported)

So it is written, so it must be. In the future, could I trouble you to corroborate your assertions with a URL reference? If not, could you just use Google to check your assertions?