UP/DOWN CHARGE PUMP CHIP

Hi,

I am working on a prototype PLL, and before implementing it in ASIC CMOS technology I would like to build one using off-the-shlef components. A VCO can easily be found in analog PLLs, with tuning voltage input. I also need a classical Charge pump with up, down inputs. Do you know any commercial chips providing such a functionality?

Kind Regards.

piters

[snip]

Not that I know of. And I'm the one who coined that phrase... in the mid '60's :-)

I do them all the time on custom chips.

You might be able to do it with 4000 series CMOS, but it'd probably not be fast enough. For instance you can access the phase-detector - charge-pump combo in the '4046, BUT you can't control current like I suspect you want to do. ...Jim Thompson

One method would be to use an HC4046 and a dual comparator. Bias the

4046 PD2 output at mid-supply with a couple of resistors, feed it into one input of each comparator, and bias the other inputs at 0.25 and 0.75 times VDD. That'll give you hard up/down outputs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"Hard" up-down is already there in the 'HC4046. The OP probably wants switching current sources and sinks. ...Jim Thompson

I like this one,

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/V346_phase_det.jpg

external to an FPGA. The FPGA pins are always-on hard logic drivers, so their pullup/down strength and tristate behavior don't matter.

This can be made to have zero deadband, if the phase detector in the FPGA is done right.

John

Only one output though. For current sourcing/sinking, replace the dual comparator with an LM13700.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

CMOS

VCO

need

commercial

--
Yes, this is what I need.
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3196/16254682.jpg

Inputs will be 10 ns pulses, about 10-20 MHz in frequency.
So it looks like I will need to build the charge pump using current sources
(20uA - 500uA tuning) and analog switches. Besides a bootstrap buffer
wouldn't be bad, and some compensation of current mismatch (source - sink).
Do you have any suggestions building such circuit? :-)

Peter S.

Posted through http://www.Electronics-Related.com
Reply to
piters