Unusual surge protector requirement

We have an "invisible fence" for our dogs. It uses a wall wart for the transmitter and also comes with a "surge protector" that the wall wart plugs into and the fence wire goes through.

There is a caution in the installation instructions that says to not install the protector unless there is at least 30 feet of wire between the outlet and the service panel.

That's a lotta' wire and I don't understand why it's necessary. Would I be better off not using the protector if it can't be 30' away? That's what it says, but sometimes instructions need to be interpreted.

Thanks

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Limiting impedances at the service panel are at their minimum, for a typical site utility hookup. Transient protector survivability depends on energy limiting during the protection event, and coordination of protection levels usually requires defined minimum impedances between protective stages.

Clamping type protector end of life is usually evident in an explosively-created open circuit, where it used to be, as branch breakers are pretty slow.

RL

Reply to
legg

bin it.

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is necessary for all plug-in protectors. 30 feet increases protection of near zero joule protectors by increasing impedance. Necessary for othe r plug-in protector since those also do not claim to protect from and can b e destroyed by typically destructive surges.

That protector and all other household appliances (are also at risk), inclu ding dishwasher, clocks, furnace, vacuum cleaner, TV, LED & CFL bulbs, bath room and kitchen GFCIs, central air, every plug-in protector, and smoke det ectors; all must be protected by a properly earthed 'whole house' protector .

Invisible fence can make other appliance damage easier if not installed so that it connects low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to earth where it ent ers a building. Connects directly or via a protector.

Reply to
westom1

Right, it's not obvious, but a wire burried in the Ground, is very susceptible to lightning. If ANYTHING nearby takes a hit, the burried wire will pick up a potentially very large spike. M

Reply to
makolber

A super-big pickup loop looks kinda obvious to most people.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Every incoming wire(overhead and underground) is susceptible. Every wire inside every incoming cable must make that low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to single point earth ground - either directly or via a protector.

30 feet is recommended to avert a house fire. A problem with a grossly undersized protector - that requires protection by a different, well proven, and properly earthed solution.
Reply to
westom1