Unlocking PDFs

A while back someone was asking how to remove passwords from PDF files. This might be what you were looking for.

JW

idiot

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Because it's JW...he's an idiot.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Isn't it about time that _everyone_ killfiled bloggs? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

LOL, any excuse to put that self-promoting signature out there, eh?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No. You are as obnoxious as possible. I think you are Alwayswrong wearing the nym. You are disgusting to the limit.

Reply to
John S

Thanks. I've seen this before, but I lost it.

For some reason some IC manufacturers insist on locking their data sheets against copying. That makes it hard to copy data into a document requiring manual entry of data which is error prone. I have no idea what they are so worried about. They also make it impossible to add notes to their data sheets and this fixes that problem.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What's the matter Fred, did your right hand turn you down again?

Reply to
JW

Elcomsoft can unlock and even crack (find a password) for them. (Advanced PDF Password Recovery) It costs a little bit.

Unlocking the "security" against printing, editing, et al takes a second. Finding a working unlock password can take days or longer.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

If you can enable printing, you can then print to a virtual printer using pdfs, can you not? And that one has no password, has it?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

All the locked PDF's I've seen prevent printing to a PDF. However I've been successful printing to PS (PostScript) then run the PS file thru a distiller to get back to a PDF. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I've done that before, but you get an image type document rather than text based. The purpose for me was to be able to copy bits of specs. An image defeats that.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes, usually, but the result is often not searchable. That's a real bummer in a 1000+ page datasheet.

Reply to
krw

So far I've had no problems printing a PDF to a file using Cute PDF and then modifying the documents. Maybe I have not run into the really secure PDFs. YMMV.

Reply to
John S