unlicensed max xmit powet at 8Ghz?

What is FCC limit on unlicensed ERP at 8.3 Ghz and 7.2Ghz? Doing some testing into patch antennas and don't want a visit from FCC. or maybe I'll just stick the patch into a piece of RF foam adsorber in a cup.

Reply to
sdy

blocher

Unlicensed low power rules are in Part 15.

See 15.209 for radiated emission limits:

Or, do whatever you want for now. The FCC Enforcement Bureau field agents are mostly furloughed.

I'm kidding. Try to play nice. :)

Reply to
mpm

The FCC divides the problem into incidental radiators, unintentional radiators, and intentional radiators. RF test equipment is an intentional radiator.

Radiation limits are not defined in watts, but rather as field strength usually in uV/meter: Above 960MHz, the limit is 500 uV/meter measured at 3 meters.

You may find this handy for converting units of measure:

So much for the rules-n-regs. More practically, if you're doing antenna testing, you should be making some effort to keep your signals from causing problems. Testing outdoors, near an airport, on a mountain top, in the middle of an antenna farm, with excessive power, and for long time periods are all bad ideas. It might be useful to determine the local users of 7.2 and 8.3GHz and avoid pointing your antenna in their direction. Pg 45 and Pg 46. Looks like you're doing satcom. Find a location where reflections won't bother your testing and make an effort to control your TX power, direction, and test time. An RF anechoic chamber might be overkill, but if precision measurements are required, you'll probably need to rent a chamber, facility, or range. Incidentally, I once did some testing in a forest, because the trees were RF absorbers, not reflectors. Even so, I could see the effects of branches waving around on the test equipment.

If you see satellites falling out of the sky, you're probably doing something wrong. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

sdy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No need to worry with the gov shut down. Hehehe :-) They are not doing any monitoring. Just kidding.

However one must observe that most aftermarket antenna products are meant to operate at the power levels allowed by regulatory laws. So how easy would it be to burn up?

And if you do at some point want to operate legally, it might be best to do so from the start.

There is an allocation table for the allowable bands, but I am not sure where the source is to determine max radiated power limitations for any given band.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for that. I have allways had the hi resolution image of the spectrum tables, but this ius great!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The above table is kept up to date by the FCC. The spectrum chart is stuck at 2015 by the NTIA and is not being updated: In some areas, like UHF TV channel reassignments, it's seriously out of date. If you have a color printer and magnifying glass, it's only

952 KBytes big: I vaguely recall obtaining my wall chart from a magazine insert.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had / have a very hi res version.

use google images page and search for it. The hi res one is out there.

Reply to
DLUNU

I tried but couldn't find anything in high res other than unauthorized reprints:

42 x 63 inches for only $263 in paper. Also available in canvas.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That link is to a pdf. So it zooms in just fine, and is high resolution. It is also a January 2016 gov production.

That is the latest abd greatest as far as I can see.

Reply to
DLUNU

yeah there's a link on that page.

file size is 952kB