Universal Remote Control (proper one) / cracking coding?

2 vital functions only via missing remote control, not available to buy or borrow, to copy/learn from or to make a simple 2 function r/c. The other functions are setup menus that have no need to be on a remote. 7 data lines to 3x4 ,12 switch matrix on the unit and no odd spare lines. Large proprietory BGA controller does the decoding so totally hidden, no separate IR decoder available to monitor. Tried 5 "universal" zappers in quick search but no change from on to standby. Any ideas for at least cracking the ident/start code ? Is it always the case that this ident code repeated after a gap is always the code for on to standby operation? Any off-the-wall suggestions for consideration? eg 2 fans/ motorised vanes at variable analogue voltages interrupting pulsed beam of order 20 to 40 microsec repeat rate
Reply to
N_Cook

make/model of equipment in question?

I'll offer one that I would like the IR control codes for:

Singing Machines SMG-301 Karaoke box - 3CD elderly device belonging to our village hall. Seems to be obsolete, but kit itself still works OK. The remote unfortunately does not exist any more...

It is known to be incompatible with generic IR controllers and a selection of randomly chosen CD controllers. The original controller has vanished so no chance of repairing it.

If anyone would be kind enough to specify the control code sequences it sends for each of the keys I could easily program a PIC to send them. Thanks. Just the numbers and play buttons would do...

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

or

other

lines.

no

always

vanes

40

The only suggestion I have is go into Google/images and try and find another make+model that looks like a rebadged version of your one, then hunt for a replacement on that make and model

N_Cook

If you can find a lookalike make/model on google images then it's worth looking on

to see if anyone has made a config file for the philips pronto touchscreen remotes for that device and on the site for the company that makes the 'oneforall' brand remotes
to see if there's a setup code for your device on a recent model of their universal remotes.

If either of these sites has a downloadable config with your device supported then the raw codes can be exctracted from the config without needing access to the correct universal remote and maybe allow you to create that pic based remote (or maybe find someone to loan you the correct remote for the config or one that can already operate your CD player and let you copy all keys into a cheap learning remote).

Unfortunately remotes are complex devices - there are at least 20 different protocols used (philips have 2, NEC have at least 2, Toshiba have a couple, Sony have another couple, etc, all with multibit device number and button codes making it almost impossible to guess correct code to send, and an unknown brand chinese player could have used any one of them) so emulating one with a PIC chip isn't as easy as you would expect.

Reply to
Nigel Feltham

You might also try the novii-remote web site, they sell an IR remote app for the palm pda and they had a fairly large database available.

You might want to post on their codebase forum?

8ae016
Reply to
Nitro

Indeed, see my comments earlier in this thread. I have used "OmniRemote" with some success on a Palm IIIX.

Michael

Reply to
msg

or

other

lines.

no

always

vanes

40

I found the manual for my Tevion URCT 48B "universal"/learning r/c.

4 codes for Singer DVD units scoping , without digging out a storage scope, just shows the same background code of 105mS cycle repeat, 8.5mS block, space, 0.6mS block, carrier 25uS, the non-repeated coding bursts are not triggerable.

N_Cook