Universal Infra Red control

I'm aware of LIRC - linux infrared remote control project

but a/ over the decades I've learnt and forgotten Fortran, CP/M, various flavours of DOS, win 3.1 etc and don't really wish to have to learn another. b/ Still needs a hardware implementation for a r/c for a piece of kit rather than tying up a learning mode "universal" r/c. So I intend playing with some

4000 CMOS series, monostables with 10 turn pots, counters and thumbwheel switches for a proper universal IR transmitter.

Looking at the LIRC archive there seems to be specious accuracy in the figures, AFAIK 10 percent timing error-band is about the norm for domestic r/c (not complex ones) so they can use ceramic resonators rather than quartz. eg LIRC gap 46,229 uSec for their particular one tested, scope trace of order 45uS +/- 1 uSec below , I'm assuming is the complete block repeat timing.

Starting from a known quantity for a JVC r/c, I have sitting around, can anyone cross-correlate the LIRC data to oscillscope trace view. From LIRC archive for r/c name JVC_PQ21953F

LIRC bits 16 flags SPACE_ENC|NO_HEAD_REP|CONST_LENGTH eps 30 aeps 100

header 8488 4126 one 590 1508 zero 590 462 ptrail 590 gap 46229 min_repeat 2 toggle_bit 0

begin codes # setting A-VCR operate 0x000000000000C2D0

for the "operate" button only , for simplicity here

SCOPE

From scope simple timings/accuracy without using a frequency counter , but could do so if more accuracy is required carrier frequency 40KHz , 25uS period full code repeats after 45uS code pulses of order 0.5mS to 0.6mS duration ident code at 0,2,4,5,6,7,8 mS ie 101011111 (same for all button pushes) "operate" code starts at 10mS and code reads

1101011011111 as on the screen ie first on the left (varies on button pushed ) I could not find the meaning of eps , aeps, ptrail etc Whatever way of, reading/inverting/adding unseen zeros, the scope-read "operate" pattern, I cannot get hex code C2D0
Reply to
N_Cook

meaning of aeps etc on

just leaves unravelling the hex

Reply to
N_Cook

FWIW, I have used old Palm IIIX PDAs as custom remote controls; there is a large and growing database of device codes and the available software includes learning and manual programming and button placement features.

Michael

Reply to
msg

I was interested in IR remotes at one point and built a

4000 series device to synchronously capture a digital input at 46 KHz and convert it to asych RS-232 data. The design and schematic are here:

Hope it helps.... might at least give you some ideas for a new design.

Bob Smith

Reply to
Bob Smith

rather

some

I would have thought that somewhere out there would be a schematic for a universal r/c transmitter for exercising / hacking r/c-absent equipment. There are 2 "operate" codes for that JVC r/c one, I relayed before was for the TV setting and

1101011011111 for VCR setting but I cannot turn that into hex C2D0 either, with lost zeros/rotation/inversion the ident code is the same
Reply to
N_Cook

The 2 "operate" codes were

10101101111 1101011011111