Universal Euro/Brit/China/? Power Socket Design

I don't remember this going by in SED though it seems the sort of thing designers need to take account of:

Seems obvious now that it's been done.

Next, universal light bulb sockets...

Can the group Euro types provide some ground truth? Is this the big deal the article makes it out to be?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

But...but... The _connector_ is only half of the problem. The other half is duel voltages (yesss looks like a misspell) where

120VAC devices need interface to duel with 240VAC source and not fry. And lettuce not 4get where 240VC devices need interface to duel with 120VAC source and WORK properly. Worth a few wars, so do them with swords - hence the term duel.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Not really for a frequent traveller. Most people have either a universal fits all plug to domestic socket adaptor or a flex with the same attributes. These have been around for decades ditto for telecoms.

People on holiday tend to get caught out be connectors but most tourist hotels will have shaver adaptors which will work for recharging camera batteries etc provided some idiot hasn't tried to boil a kettle on it!

If you really want a laugh try the Belgian POTS telephone connectors - they look like they are rated for 3-phase 5A mains circuits!

I usually carry a continental or US flex overseas as it is physically a lot smaller than a UK 13A 3 pin plug. Way back when I have an auto transformer that was needed for some of my old Japanese domestic kit.

In the ROW almost everything modern and electronic that you might want has a switched mode PSU in these days rated for 100-240v ac 50/60Hz.

High power white goods like aircon, cookers and washing machines don't but then you don't normally take them on holiday with you.

Only US domestic products and the cheapest and nastiest cut price Chinese junk is supplied with 110v ac 60Hz only PSUs today.

Swords are generally not useful for electrical work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I've got a couple of power bars that I bought in China that fit just about anything. I think they were about $5 each, similar to prices here. Great for my 120:240 stepup transformer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

If you make stuff with simple motors and heaters in it, you can still save quite a bit of money by going single-voltage.

Electronics is almost all universal voltage, and has been for years. Often, they don't even bother to note it anymore.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:40:37 -0500) it happened legg wrote in :

I quotes MIT, did not MIT invent the universal wireless power transfer years ago, we discussed it here. Idea sold to Boeing IIRC. Flying powerstations with RF beams overhead soon? Who needs a plug. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hey Nonny,

Physical fit isn't the primary issue. Compatibility of line voltages and compliance to local safety standards comes first.

Anyone installing the illustrated socket would be liable for damage occuring in end-use, without these considerations, as will anyone using adapters to bypass these design features.

After all, a fork can be made to fit in most sockets, but we learn fairly early on why this isn't such a bright idea. Perhaps the article's author is so clued out that he has yet to learn this lesson.

It would be nice if things were more uniform, but this isn't the solution.

RL

Reply to
legg

It might be new to the author, but i have seen them at least 5 to 10 years ago. I also have one that plug into the US outlet, but you have to be careful about voltage and frequency.

Reply to
linnix

They will be taken up by the displaced workers that were "generated" by price cutting and outsourcing (to China).

Reply to
Robert Baer

ago. I also have one that plug into the US outlet, but you have to be careful about voltage and frequency.

Actually I think generic accept all sockets might be new, but generic fits into anything plugs have been around donkeys years. I can remember playing around with a Plessey one for test equipment in the 1970's.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Some do good things with solar - your free 'flying' power station.

RL

Reply to
legg