Under the Knife

Thanks!

I know. Sometimes I get depressed and contemplate air fare to Oregon and FedEx back... my favorite wild-life-preserve hillside already designated for fertilization >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That _would_ be interesting... but I'd be lost in a micro-second ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

My aunt (a wonderful woman who was my favorite and everyone else's) used to say, "Old age sucks." Hence she avoided doctors and her cancer wasn't discovered until it had spread everywhere. I know you've suffered a lot in treatment, and it must be hell to see your wife in pain, but I'm glad you haven't avoided doctors.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Ouch! I hope you're well.

Reply to
krw

I agree. I still have the full bottle of Percs they gave me a few weeks back. When I had the CABG surgery, they insisted that I take them for weeks after, warning me that it would be hard to catch up with the pain if I didn't. I listened to them. Shouldn't have.

Reply to
krw

Why? It's one of the times you're allowed. Senility is the other (ask GHWB ;-).

Reply to
krw

Yep. My cancer was discovered early while pursuing symptoms of bile duct blockage.

First few hours after hernia repair suggest (hopefully, knock on wood) that a lot of my pain locations _may_ be "referred pain" from the hernia.

Next week I'll decide whether to resume chemo or not. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I was clearly depressed this morning... not so much this afternoon ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I understand.

Reply to
krw

Good to hear everything turned out ok. Hernia surgery is about as routine as my knee surgery.

Get well soon!

Martin Riddle

Try and stay away from the light.....

Good luck Jim.

Reply to
Perry

That's not over-cautious at all, that's smart. When your white counts are low from chemo, you're more susceptible. Your doctors can guide you on what counts are reasonable and which ones are red flags.

But we've already got loads of bacteria inside us, so possibly more important is keeping your lungs happy, because one of the most usual sepsis routes is through the lungs. It starts from just laying still in bed.

The mechanism is devilishly simple: if you're not up and about filling them, lungs squish together like dangling deflated plastic grocery bags. That traps junk in the folds, which is then a growth medium for bacteria.

That's why they give you a gadget to suck on and exercise your lungs when you're in the hospital, and that's why you *should* use it faithfully (many times daily) if you're ever in that situation. I've seen the difference it makes.

My bro was proud--mission accomplished--& wanted us to stop nagging him when he got up to 1.5L inhaled volume on the thing, an incentive inspirometer. He figured he'd maxed the thing out. I didn't have the heart to tell him I do 4.5L.

Anyway, with some common sense and understanding the mechanisms you can do a whole bunch better than your typical Joe, and that's a very big deal.

All the best, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thanks, Perry!

As for the pain med's, I've avoided them altogether this evening, though I am getting very sore... but tolerable.

They tell me the bruising may last up to six weeks :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thanks, Martin! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Best of luck, Jim.

Reply to
jurb6006

Wishing you a quick and uncomplicated recovery, Jim.

A literal translation of the term for hernia in my language would be "intestines falling into the testicles". An accurate term, except that women can have hernia too. :-)

Reply to
Pimpom

I'm confused by your response.

Meaning, you didn't take them?

Meaning you took them?

Shouldn't have.

What is it you "shouldn't have?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Thanks!

Yep. At times my right testicle sack was the size of an orange :-(

My hernia tear (more technically described as a tear in the abdominal fascia) extended about 5" above the testicle sack :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I can't say that many of us really require that level of detail, Jim.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

G. Gordon Liddy always bragged that he had three testicles, maybe he didn't know the difference! :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx