Ultrasonic soldering iron recommendations?

Hi, all,

I need to indium-solder some thermistors to an alumina surface. The usual method for this is an ultrasonic soldering iron, but I don't have one at the moment.

Anybody have recent experience buying one?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Can't use silver epoxy?

 Click to see the full signature

I've got one on the list for when/if funding becomes available. Swiss-- MBR.

I've tried a Korean one and wasn't all that impressed.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Solder is easier to handle and has more repeatable properties IME.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've never bought one, but had a hell of a lot o fun with one of these

at a trade show. The folks from Japan were there too.

The standard show-off trick is to let people solder onto glass. It works great. I even tried to edge solder two microscope slides together like how they glass seal LCD displays. It worked fine.

The tips on those things are sort of fat and clunky, but that's just how they are.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Forgot to mention- they don't seem to make angled tips. you have to use the gun perpendicular to your work. They forget to mention that in the sales brochures. You have to solder straight down. The unit is just a big clunky soldering gun until you pull the trigger for the ultrasonic transducer, then the fun starts. I can hear them, but it's not as horrible as standard ultrasonic welder.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Thanks. I emailed them to find out how much they are, but they have that $1k sniff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That is rather a bit of exotica. And yes, as i understand it, ultrasonic "soldering" (really more like wirebonding) is required to not contaminate the Indium. Happy hunting.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk