UL pcb specs

I'm looking at UL pcb certification for various pcb manufacturers we use.

One spec I don't understand is Maximum Area Diameter. This is defined as the maximum unpierced copper area judged by the diameter of the largest circle that can be inscribed within the pattern. This is often set as a maximum of 1" diameter.

What is the point of this requirement? By unpierced do they mean it needs a via hole or will a PTH solder point do?

Until I understand the actual requirement I ca't judge if I have a problem or not.

Reply to
Raveninghorde