typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

I was browsing the net for a 50 inch plasma TV and settled with this
Panasonic model. Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50VT25-50

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

the manual says its average power consumption is 135W. Is this the RMS
figure?

i am bit confused as when i search the local dealers, the model they
have is TH-P50V20, which has the same functionality as the above
model, but the rated power consumption was indicated as 500W.
Obviously this is much higher than the 135W figure indicated in the
other similar model. Could some explain this?

Thanks

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

LCD and DLP sets run at a constant power level regardless of picture
content. CRT and Plasma power consumption varies with program
material. Black screen is minimum and a full white field is maximum
power. All other video will be somewhere between these boundaries.
Plasmas used to be so power hungry they required cooling fans but have
improved a lot. They also have a bad habit of burning the phosphors.
They're better but ...

GB2%

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 02:41:10 -0800 (PST), Glenn Gundlach

Not true today.
Many LCD have LED background light with local dimming.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

Watts RMS is meaningless.

Or it's the standby power.  ;-)

My three-year-old 46" Panasonic Viera consumes about 500W, so a new 50" at the
same power is quite believable.  135W is not.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

My older TC-P50V10 consumes 500W peak.  I could imagine a newer model
drawing only 135W in a dimly lit room.

It should be noted that Panasonic TVs don't interoperate with anything
except other Panasonic and Sony devices.  The long list of supported
multimedia formats on my model is complete bullshit.  The SD card is
useless and Internet content only works when Panasonic maintains their
servers properly.
--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

WTF are you doing plugging an SD card into a TV for?  That's all BS hype
anyhow.  Internet content?  It's a friggin' TV!  It plugs into cable fine (not
so fine on Dish but that has nothing to do with Panasonic).

Their service is top-notch.  ...and that's worth a *lot* more to me than some
silly SD card reader.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

Playing from SDHC cards is handy if you have a video camera or want to
play digital files without dragging in a computer.

Panasonic's VieraCast fails at least every holiday, including today.
Menus are a jumble of broken graphics and the TV locks up.  I haven't
tried it recently, but it used to let you buy Amazon videos when there
was no server capacity to stream them.  It would stutter then fail or
crash.  Amazon customer support does not like Panasonic.

As for the TV argument, if you want "just a TV" then there are cheaper
models.
--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 00:47:38 -0800 (PST), the renowned

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/11/19/MN5G1AMLE5.DTL

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
"The Journey is the reward"

Would it kill a reporter to cite the bill, standard, regulation,
whatever.

The best I can find from the CEC website are regulations for TVs less
that 58 inches.
-------------
Active Mode Energy Efficiency Requirements
Maximum On Mode Power Usage Effective January 1, 2011:
3D% 0.20 x Screen Area (inches2) + 32 (watts)
Maximum On Mode Power Usage Effective January 1, 2013:
3D% 0.12 x Screen Area (inches2) +25 (watts)
Power Factor:
Minimum power factor required to be 0.9.
---------------

Going on the border, a 58 inch display has 1437.44 square inches.
That means you could have 319.5 watts in 2011. Present day plasmas
already beat this spec. The model mentions could meet the 197.5 watt
limit of 2013. I just don't see the problem here. Hell, buy a 60 inch
plasma and you're covered.

I can only find the proposed spec, not the adopted spec. The CEC
website doesn't make this easy. Search on television and you find
every mention of television, not the final rules.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:55:17 -0800 (PST), the renowned

That's the problem with you kids, no search skills ;-)

http://www.energy.ca.gov/releases/2010_releases/2010-09-02_k-douglas_tv_eff_Standards_ma.html

There's a formula:

Active mode power < (K * Screen Area (in^2) + Y )watts

where K = 0.20 / Y = 32 from Jan 1, 2011
and   K = 0.12 / Y = 25 from Jan 1, 2013

BTW, the link in the above notice is broken. Here is one that works:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2010publications/CEC-400-2010-012/CEC-400-2010-012.PDF

See page 170 of 226.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
"The Journey is the reward"

Which is exactly what I wrote down, only mine is clearer. The use of a
slash makes it appear as if you are dividing something. That is the
kind of fuck up that sends your satellite out to space instead of
orbit.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 19:43:47 -0800 (PST), the renowned

using a

;-) No such problems so far. I think the worst I could do is make a
satellite tumble.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
"The Journey is the reward"

You do recall the NASA fubar where people confused the metric and
English units.

On a team project, it had both chip designers and programmers. I was
on the chip side of course. We are at a staff meeting. Just looking at
the handouts, I proclaim at the beginning of the meeting that the
software won't work. Needless to say the software guys are baffled,
and so is the project leader. How'd I figure that out? Some of the
code treated a parameter as floating point, while other code treated
it as a signed integer. Perhaps tolerable in the guts of the code, but
not tolerable when passing parameters on the stack.

Good engineering requires significant nitpicking. Especially true in
chips.  If you just get close, you will never finish a project of any
significance.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:29:46 -0800 (PST), the renowned

No kidding. That should be spelled out in the software design
documents.

Unfortunately, even in the aerospace business, there are engineers who
can't do a PCB-level design without multiple spins. Drives me up the
$#$#$ wall.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

SP > Unfortunately, even in the aerospace business,
SP > there are engineers who can't do a PCB-level
SP > design without multiple spins. Drives me up
SP > the $#$#$ wall.

Because they lack fine tuning?

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Dec 30 2010, 2:51A0%pm, Spehro Pefhany
"The Journey is the reward"

I thought you board guys prototype via PCBs these days. There are so
many parts that are only available in surface mount, blah blah blah.
The IC houses use those nasty board grinders for eval boards, and even
then there are a few revs on simple products.

Personally, I rather see a board reved than odd jumpers added to the
final product.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:03:04 -0800 (PST), "miso@sushi.com"

There often doesn't need to be, particularly not on simple products.

Now this is impressive:-
http://research.swtch.com/2011/01/mos-6502-and-best-layout-guy-in-world.html

and this is too (in a different way):-
http://www.visual6502.org/JSSim/index.html

If it needs fly wires to make it work because the designer(s) screwed
up, what are the chances that there are more latent problems that have
not yet been detected? Pretty good, IMHO.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

For a while they were marketing these low power plasmas as PDP
technology, which of course made me think of DEC. They seemed to drop
the PDP buzzword, but it is true that the new plasma TVs are lower
power. You could just buy a $14 Kill-a-watt and measure it for
yourself in the store. On some older plasma TVs, I measure about
380W.

You may want to see what the latest story is on the black level
creeping up on Panasonic plasma TVs. Don't get me wrong here, I think
plasma is the best technology out there for direct view, but there was
some issue about a shift in the black level.

Costco has 3D Panasonics. I really don't like the effect. It looks to
me like the things out in front are in their own plane. Yeah, it has
depth, but it doesn't look 3D. This may be due to source material. The
Panasonic 3D demo material certainly is better than Sony or Samsung.
Especially the 3D beach volleyball. ;-) But it doesn't look real to
me. However, it is a decent TV all by itself, and probably for gaming,
3D would be fun. The Sony scheme is just terrible. The glasses are
active and and need batteries.

Re: typical power consumption of a 50 inch plasma TV

They probably aren't real. If I were the ad exec, at least I know how I'd play
the "game". ;-)