type K thermocouple

I'm going to cook a Beef Wellington, filet en croute, for Christmas. We have some great friends who are just awful cooks, so we'll prep the meal and take it to their place and finish it off in the oven. BW is tricky to get just right, and regular meat thermometers are not very good, so I got this:

I'll take my good Omega meter along.

This will be handy around the shop too, so I let the company buy it for me.

lunatic fringe electronics

Bring a calculator also to convert to temperature

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

We cook American cows in Fahrenheit. That's a degrees F type K thermocouple.

lunatic fringe electronics

I thought the Omega was just an ohmmeter, so you needed a formula to find t emperature ?

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Omega is the big temperature-measuring outfit.

My cheap Extech DVMs also have type K inputs, but if I'm going to spend around $100 for a good filet, I'll use the Omega to get the internal temperature right.

The big difference is the quality of the reference junction compensation.

I'd better bring our thermocouple calibrator along.

lunatic fringe electronics

I presume you're going to apply the "wrap" on location, otherwise aren't you asking for a soggy crust? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

It's only 2 minutes from our cabin to theirs, so we'll zip over and pop it in a hot oven. And we'll bake the crust nicely. The meat-juice soaked crust is as good as the meat.

In addition to being mediocre cooks, they have essentially no kitchen tools.

lunatic fringe electronics

Then hand-hold them a bit and suggest they pre-warm the oven?

Yep. We get a lot of, "What's that?" ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thermocouples aren't all that accurate.

For cooking, an interchangeable thermistor can cover the temperature range you need a lot more accurately, and more cheaply - until it has been packag ed up in a stainless steel sheath. My cooking thermometer hasn't got an off

-switch - the sensing circuit doesn't draw enough current to degrade the li fe-time of its AAA alkaline cell. The LCD display gives the measured temper ature to one degree (Celcius or Fahrenheit - you choose). It's also got a t emperature limit alarm, and a timer. I think it cost about $20 in a regular shop ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to