TX37u -IT LaCrosse Temerature Sensor Repair

Anyone here repair one of these things?

I get a Radio signal indicator on the receiver, but it appears the thermister maybe bad.

It was reading blank before I opend it. It was reading fluctuating temperature after I cleaned it. And now reads Blank after I reflowed the solder around the thermister.

I suspect a bad TC, but figured I ask here is someone had seen something similar.

I'll probably unsolder the TC and hook up a decade box and see what happens.

Martin Riddle

Yes, but with lousy results. The plastic senor cases are glued or solvent welded, making disassembly rather difficult.

LaCurse uses "chip on board" technology in their sensors and consumer weather station products. The chip is glued to the PC board, wire bonded to pads on the PCB, and then covered with a blob of epoxy. I cracked one open to see if the put on any junction coating. Nope. If you push on the epoxy in any direction, you break the wire bonding, and say goodbye to your sensor or weather station.

I found a TX6U sensor in my junk pile and cracked open the case. Here's what's inside: The "chip on board" is the black glob. The green corrosion on the contacts is typical after a battery leak. The white stuff on the PCB is where La Crosse forgot to clean the PCB after hand soldering.

Model number of your sensor? Numbers are amazingly useful. These pages might help:

Let the thermistor cool down.

What did you use to clean the board?

Did you touch the black "chip on board"? If yes, you may have killed it.

Did you pair or sync the sensor with your unspecified model weather station base unit? Some version require you to reset the weather station in order to get it to sync:

Yep. When you remove the batteries, you lose the connection between your sensor and the weather station. Start over and will produce a reading when they synchronize.

Good plan but a trim pot might be easier.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sorry. I didn't see the model number in the Subject line:

I don't have one in my junk box and couldn't find a photo of the insides with Google Images.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The TX37U is similar to the TX6U, but with a simplified RF section, and a 0603 TC. It pairs with the reciever, so I'm hoping its just a bad TC.

Martin Riddle

SO I finally found the TC on the TX34, it's located right next to the only 10k resistor on the board. At first I thought it was a cap, since it read open. But looking at the voltage across it, I can see they pulse and sample to avoid heating the TC. After hooking up the decade box, and trying all the typical NTC values, It turns out to be a 10K tc with a B25/85=3486. The reciever will only display 139f(59c)@ 2810ohms, using R2 = R1 / (exp( B*(1/ T1 - 1/ T2) )), I determined the B25/60=3462 which should be close to the only Vishay part with a B25/75=3477 and B25/85=3486. (NTHS0603N02N1202JP) I'll order some and see how accurate it turns out to be.

Martin Riddle

Update, I see some NTC specs include B25/50=3380, which turns out to fit nicely plus their stocked at mouser and digikey.

Martin Riddle

Nice troubleshooting job.

Methinks the main reason they sample is to reduce power drain and thus extend battery life.

Most of the stuff I see has a thermistor with thin leads (like the one in the photo I posted). The one's stuck to the PCB tend to use the PCB as a heat spreader, resulting in long response times. The leaded variety are also easier to insert in the convective air stream. I've compared the chip type with a leaded type inside a proper pagoda (Stevenson radiation shield): (Well, maybe not so proper). The PCB mounted variety shows about a

5-10 minute additional delay for abrupt changes in air temperature, such as sunrise and sundown. However, it doesn't matter much since temperature is updated every 5 or 10 minutes (I forgot which).
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I had same problem. All I did was touch soldering iron the the thermistor and it came right back.

Reply to
vicflashmd