two switcher circuits

Be careful if you have to clean the board with those pots... we had horrendous problems until we figured out the issue...

TTman

We haven't had problems with these Bourns pots, with aqueous or solvent cleaning. Some companies absolutely forbid trimpots. Sometimes they are just what you need.

We did have horrible cleaning problems with some relays.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

We had a high failure rate wit BEC (Beckman) pots. I removed them from o ur AVL, and told purchasing to only buy Bourns. BEC threw a oyal hissy fit, and claimed zero defects. About six months later they blamed it on their O

-ring supplier for shipping out of spec seals.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Paulo has a laser at home and he just did this:

I think we'll get one for work too.

I *think* it's a GHz o/e. I need to cobble up a really fast light source to test it. I'm pulsing a fiber-coupled laser diode from one of our DDGs and poking that into the o/e and I'm seeing a 500 ps electrical output, but I don't know how fast the optical input is.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

If it's out past 800 nm, you should be able to see it with an SD-48.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

That first unit is 850. We do have some New Focus superfast detectors at that wavelength.

I'm thinking, for the longwave version, I can use a 10 Gbps SFP module as a source. I'll need to get some LC-to-ST fiber cables.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

SFPs are awesome--we use them for TIA tweaking.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

At the last minute, I hung an SFP section on my latest multi-prototype board.

I could slice a couple off for you if they'd be helpful.

They are telecom parts; I suspect that the laser doesn't ever go to extinction. Gotta test that. The ac coupling time constants are all over the place.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Sure, thanks. I have one of my trademark stomp boxes with pluggable short and long wave 1.25 Gb/s modules. BTW on those ones you can hack the coupling caps. A faster one would be very useful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Use a forming tap, versus a cutting tap. Forming taps are very strong, rarely break, and work very well in aluminum. Use a tapping lubricant intended for the purpose.

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn