Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.

Fifteen years ago we bought a fish, a great fish, a beautiful elegant fish, a Clown Loach. He was about three years old then, and such a masterful fish, so full of life and elan, springing about the tank, displaying his bright colors, that we had to get him a partner.

So we bought another small younger Clown Loach.

As the tank's population grew, with new fish of many types and sizes, the pair of clown loaches remained center stage. In a few years they grew further, to almost the same size, two large healthy fishes, swimming in dance formation, exploring the tank for adventure while courteously avoiding trouble with the other fish. Always intensely attune to each other, often curving side-by-side, they grabbed our attention and captivated our imagination. Gracefully darting for food at feeding time, searching the reaches of the tank during the quiet times, their flashes of color and intensity helped us know everything was well in the fish tank world.

As each evening approached, the two brilliant Clown Loaches would begin an intense battle dance, to determine who would get a favored sleeping spot. Although there were several conch shells to choose from, they would contest - dart and dash, swirl and nip back and forth in complex patterns for up to an hour. Things would seem to settle down, with one entering the shell... but in a moment he'd back out and the dance would start again as if to say, we're not done yet, the day offers more before we sleep. Fins on display, intense colors changing in seconds in an amazing feat of biochemistry, they commanded attention.

Gradually they'd settle in, first one fish wriggling deep into the shell, out of sight, followed by over the next five minutes by the remaining Clown, pressing in like a stopper, with just a red bit of tail hanging out to indicate where they were.

It was early to bed for these two, often before the tank lights were dimmed at the appointed hour, "Twilight for the fishes."

This afternoon our master Clown Loach unexpectedly died. We found him lying in death in the middle of the tank, with his partner of fifteen years beside him quietly keeping vigil. After the body was removed, the remaining Loach immediately hid himself and hasn't been seen since. It's the end of an glorious era for our tank community, the end of the partnership of these two fine creatures, the end for our original fish, our beloved fish, and a time for deep sadness.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Thanks, Mike, very nice, that's very kind of you.

First Terry, then the Pope, and then our great fish. It was more than I could handle yesterday. Watching "The Big Fish" on HBO in the evening and crying at the end played a role as well. Sheesh!

Now, just to concentrate a bit on power MOSFET characteristics.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Amazing how we can develop love and attachment to other creatures (animals and plants), especially when we do not have offspring of our kind. We have a tortoise and our little daughter and us love her with so much affection. Hopefully she will survive us all, since she is only 4yrs. old and they eventually become 150.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

[snip]

Win, My condolences. As a salt-water-tank person myself, I know the grief of losing a Clown... they seem to have personalities.

I have a Lion I'm watching closely... he managed to jump out of the tank and land on the support plexi, then wriggle back in. He's showing obvious bruises. I changed the light support panels so there are no gaps he can jump through.

...Jim Thompson

Allow me to express my deepest condolence for your loss. Please accept the small gift I've posted to ABSE.

Though it may not lessen the pain of your loss, know that the master's death was not in vain. I'm reminded of my love for all things living in nature. Also, I believe that I have learned something about writing from your *most eloquent* eulogy and obituary. Your style is remarkable.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Sorry, but you don't know much about fish. It's not possible to sex the fish, so I have no idea what our two fish were. I merely called one "he" to simplify the writing, and didn't mention the other's sex. I think their interaction and relationship would be independent of sex anyway. Perhaps that's because in home tanks they don't grow large enough (only 4 to 5 inches long in our case) to reproduce, compared to 12 inches in the wild. Sorry to have misled. I do know these two fish were very close companions. That made their bedtime dance all the more interesting.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

--
Don't you think something like: "Win, I'm sorry for your loss." would
have been a little more appropriate than a rant using his sorrow for a

It is not so amazing if we understand the kind of concussion we call "eternal love" which is an important part of the cultural pattern we have lived in for thousands of years.

It is a combination of fear and strong convictions, mastered by aggressivity when needed. That is what we see on tv every day, romance, fear, aggressivity, male and female roles and the social processes which create those roles.

Right now we live in a confused era, the era of secularization. Some people still defend and try to re-inforce the old creationist culture, others are trying to replace it with equality between the sexes, democracy replacing the rule of God, human rights replacing the draconic laws of the old testament.

Electronics plays an important part in the secularizing process, as we can meet in the medium of text, where our social strength is nullified and only the strength of our arguments decide how seriously we are taken by others.

Logic and reason are slowly replacing strong convictions and fear.

Electronic media spread information all over the globe, showing us more alternatives, reinforcing patterns, destroying patterns, creating new patterns of life.

Industrialization and free markets equalize the conditions all over the globe. Capital flowing to poor countries where it is cheap to build factories, where cheap labor is available. After some time the economic conditions will be come equalized between all nations and all people in the world.

In the old cultural pattern foreplay was handled by the society. The training of boys and girls to become men and women created a kind of automatic excitement and amazement towards the other sex.

As modern secularized people we have to DO things with our minds and bodies, instead of just BEING men and women, to create a nice love life.

The fixed state of mind which make some people so happy and others so unhappy must be replaced by thinking flexible minds when we abolish the created love and all the social processes which create gender roles and the holy matrimony.

The fixed mind has a strong tendency to be amazed, like a pot smoker who likes to stare at hypnotic screensavers and listen to music. It is a healing of an overworked mind.

Many stressing factors in life are tearing the mind apart again, creating anew a need for healing, for amazement, for love.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

And maybe leaving our minds open to or willing to receive and follow crafty liars.

As many reasons as I have to be happy and greatful for what I have and what I may receive (no. what I *will* recieve - I claim it now), just thinking about the state the world is in (and really always has been in) makes me sad... sometimes angry and frustrated. I'm talking about the confusion and friction caused by religion and politics - pumped into our homes by the media via high pressure sewage lines and RF links. I see otherwise intelligent people act and speak as if they were brainwashed. I can't be brainwashed - I'm too damn confused. [ Am I weird, or what? :) ] I know there are people in group, there are people I've met, and authors I've read (a small percentage of the world! ) that are intelligent enough to see through the smokescreen. Our predicament shouldn't baffle me - those of us that know the truth and reality are scared.

If we'd all use as much as possible of the tool we've got in our heads and apply a little common sense, I think there'd be hope. I think the stress factors and confusions are a major mental block. But maybe our minds are wired to just fall short of the intelligence and patience required to fix everything.

We can all start with love - respect (golden rule) for all living things, and the rock we're stuck on. It's a common sense thing. The emotional side of love is irrelevant to the solution and even impedes us at times. But that same aspect of love has it's time and place in life.

Too bad we're not perfect. I'm going to try to be more perfect by first going back to being happy while letting the negative stuff roll off my back without totally ignoring it. I gotta stop venting before I write another book. Take care.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

No but I wonder why he doesn't simply buy a new fish, and this time a female as a company for the lonely surviving male.

I see it as animal cruelty to keep two male fishes in a tank just because their eternal fight for power makes an interesting visual spectacle.

I also see sport fishing when they release the fish again as animal cruelty. Catching fish if you are not hungry is sick.

And I am not a fanatical animal rights activist, on the contrary, I think people should remember that animals are animals and people are people. I don't hesitate to kill animals when I am hungry. But I think it is wrong to subject animals to painful treatment for our pleasure.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

snip

snip

In Existence everything *is* perfect, even us! What makes you feel the need of improvement is your *wife*. Apart from not being able to improve, it will only make you feel inferiour. In fact this attitude will create hell in your life. Of course when you want to be happy you will create such a sadness, because that is all you can do. Rather have a look at the real self with its fear of dying, its restless mind, its sex hormons and so on. It will be shocking in the beginning, because the nice picture you have made up of yourself is all fake, everybody can see this but yourself. Looking at your fear, it will drop by itself, and the first time you can experience your courage. And you will see: as you are, nature wanted you to be, accept it with humbleness and you will be rewarded infinitly.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

That was rude dude. Insensitive. Let's drop this now. I'm sorry I replied to the post that pissed John off.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

You're right on... above and below. Thanks for posting something positive. I just meant we don't always act/behave perfectly. I accepted that *everything* *is* perfect (complete) even when it seems otherwise.

I've experienced some of all that. It's a never ending journey in our lives. Some paths circle around, too. You stated that well.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Do I understand correctly? After arguing I badly mis-treated my fish, you argue maybe not, because they're unintelligent? I don't know where to start. First, fish are NOT stupid. If you were aware and looked about, you'd know that. For example, are you familiar with my wife's work? Second, I believe they had a great life in our tank, complete with the usual environmental requirements, plus well filled with interesting stimulus and attention. Their life was a full one.

Third, animals send us strong signals about their needs, moods and desires, if we pay attention, and these two fish were no exception. Finally, you have completely misinterpreted their bedtime dance. For that I accept the blame; you never witnessed nor studied it, and you relied on my poor description. The fault is mine.

Or, ahem, are you of the persuasion that believes no animal should be a pet, ever? OK, I see... Guilty as charged.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I read in sci.electronics.design that Roger Johansson wrote (in ) about 'Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.', on Sun, 3 Apr 2005:

He probably will, but it won't be the same. Even my limited contact with my friends' boxers told me that.

I'm not sure that Win meant two males. He wrote that article in a time of high emotion, and a missing 's' in '(s)he' is quite a possibility.

Of course Loach(m) + Loach(f) => Loach{1 +exp(kt)}. A tank take-over or 'loach encroach'.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate
[...]

experimented

friend

[...]

Many people claimed to fly before the Wright bros. Here's some of them

"Who Was the First to Fly"

It looks like Whitehead's claims were intended to attract investors. His claims are examined in more detail here:

"The Legend of No. 21"

Mike Monett

Reply to
mike

I wuz wondering if there wasn't something new in the fishy world!

We had a few clowns in our tanks when we were in NY. We had a pair for five years (nothing like yours), but they too were in the 4-5" range. Wonderful creatures. I do feel your loss.

Loaches and Pecostmosus (some as large as 8") or two for the bottom, Cardinals for the schooling middle, and a Beta for the roof was what we tended to do for our "pretty" tank.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Okay, we talk about animals which have very little intelligence, and even I have some limits for compassion.

I can accept if kids have ant farms, and your fishes are probably not much more intelligent than ants.

But fish are at and around the limit I think is reasonable for talking about animal cruelty.

The inventor of the aeroplane, the german immigrant Weisskopf (Whitehead) who flew two years before the Wright brothers, experimented with birds when he was young.

" Very early on he had great interest in how birds flew. With a friend he began catching birds, tied their legs together and studied the "tethered flight of birds". The police forbade the young researchers from this activity"

This shows that the german police had views on animal cruelty around

1880, which obviously applied to birds.

The Wright brothers visited him at least twice in his workshop and talked about his designs.

The last time they left his workshop he said, according to his helper, "I bet those rascals will never finance my aeroplanes, and now I have told them all my secrets."

--
Roger J.
Reply to

That's a dream. I have been a pilot since 1959, and have 750 hours in my own Piper Malibu. The accounts of Whitehead's flights are fantasy. He had no control over the airplane. Leaning to avoid trees is not going to work. He did not have powerful enough engines to lift the weight. There was supposed to be two engines - one to drive the wheels. That is a silly idea. It merely increases the weight he had to lift. Claiming the first flight was tethered is insane. The plane would have crashed. He contradicts himself on the means of directional control.

There are photos of him in a glider. If he actually flew, he certainly would have photos taken. His claim that he was going too fast for any camera are bogus.

His claims are simply gross exaggerations to try to get investors.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

I just got the impression that those fishes were two males, living in a rather small aquarium, not able to live a natural life. It didn't sound like a natural life for them. I just could not imagine myself enjoying their dance knowing that they would probably be happier around a coral reef or wherever such fishes usually live.

I have known several dogs and many cats during my life, especially when I was young and my family had both dogs and cats, and I feel very differently about dogs and cats.

Dogs are not suitable as pets, they cannot live naturally, they cannot run around in flocks and hunt animals. The dogs I have known would definitely have been happier in the wild. Not because they were unhappy in any way, for being pets, they were so adapted to my family that they thought they were humans and family members just as the others in the family. But it is just so obvious that it is a very unnatural life for a dog.

Cats are very different from all other pets. I get the impression that cats choose to live with humans because they like it. You cannot order a cat around, it lives with us voluntarily.

It is often a good life for them, if they are free to go out into the nature whenever they like. If they don't like one home they often find another family and another home to live in. That happens now and then in the country.

Cats have several times followed me from a nearby village to my house in the forest, checking me out as a possible alternative human to live with. I was friendly to them and gave them water but did not allow them to sleep over in the house because I didn't have time for cats.

--
Roger J.
Reply to