Tube amp "singing" when no output hooked up.

I am trying to diagnose a problem with an amplifier. I was using a freq. sweep input and noticed than when I turned the gain up the I was hearing the sound. There is no speakers hooked up and the sound seems to be an exact replica. I did not try other sounds as it seems pretty obvious that something is making reproducing this sound and it is not coincidence.

I guess I could make some type of acoustical amplifier to probe around the circuit to find where it is coming from but besides that is anything I should look for? Maybe this is a natural thing? I suppose there is the possibility of a resistor or cap producing the sound due to some strange effect or it could be the sum of all the minute effects from each component but most likely it is something pretty straight forward(bad tube)?

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Reply to
Stretto

Not sure what it could be, but you shouldn't have the amp on without a dummy load or speaker hooked up.

Andrew

Reply to
dre7

Even a wire close to some steel will start singing at high currents.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Yeah, I competely forgot about that until I saw the smoke. Lol, luckily I seemed to have caught it before any real damage was done. Not sure where the sound was coming from but it was probably that resistor that started to smoke.

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

Your transformers are resonating - very common... if you drop the signal level it will disappear. Never operate without a dummy load.

Reply to
arthrnyork

I've been using cheap medical stethoscopes for a few decades to locate the source of a sound, in electronics and while tinkering with my car. I remove the diaphragm-bell assembly and point the open end of the pipe at various parts until I locate the culprit.

Reply to
Pimpom

Well, if you have a microphonic tube (not unusual, it's why preamplifiers often were on a different chassis than power stages), that could be getting some acoustic input and 'singing'. Is the noise broadband, or peaked at some frequencies?

Inductors can be noisy, if there's DC in them, too.

Reply to
whit3rd

transformer plate vibrations are the most likely source. the rapidly changing magnetic field in a transformer can cause the plates to vibrate due to differences in magnetic flux, and the rapid succession of magnetic attraction and 'no attraction' (and other factors).

others have suggested microphonic tubes causing oscillation. I would actually expect that a single-ended relaxation or negative-resistance oscillator circuit might be created by open-ended amplifiers that are improperly loaded. Use a dummy load or speakers, as others also suggested. You can soak an 1 or 2 watt 8 ohm resistor (with wires attached) in a glass of water to keep it cool if you don't have a 50W resistor handy.

yes. The 'transformer buzz' you sometimes hear from power line transformers is the same kind of thing. Usually transformers are potted to limit this, since it's a loss factor also. If it's happening in a toroidal transformer, it could actually be the wires themselves (and that would be BAD because the wire insulation would eventually wear off). In any case, potting the transformer helps minimize wire vibrations also.

capacitors... maybe. Ceramic capacitors COULD become 'piezeoelectric transducers' if high enough current is running through them. I doubt this is the case in an audio amplifier. Most of the power is going through the output transformer. that's where the sound is coming from.

Reply to
Big Bad Bob

1) Don't run your amp without a load on it. 2) Google "magnetostriction." That's what's happening in your output transformer.

LV

Reply to
Lord Valve

Yes, I've heard that is bad news, also. Never run it out to an open circuit.

*R* *H*