Troubleshoot desk lamp

After the hurricane and power outage I had a defective radio, computer
and desk lamp, all plugged into the same outlet. Nothing else electrical
in the house was damaged.
  The lamp is fluorescent FML-27W-6500k it has 4 pins.

The fixture has an electronic ballast.
  The ballast looks clean, nothing odd except a unidentified minor smell.
Bringing my scope probe close I can tell it is oscillating. Although it
looks like a thin pulse at 1,458 Hz, (that doesn't seem right). I have
no idea what the output should look like. There are 4 pins and the
driver has 4 wires out to the bulb, all from different connections.
  I want to know how to separate a defective bulb from a defective
driver without buying a new bulb.
                                      Mikek

Re: Troubleshoot desk lamp

Test the bulb. - check the two filaments first. they should look like
resistors.

Re: Troubleshoot desk lamp
  OK, refreshed my memory. So this tube is like a long tube, a filament
at each end, heats the gas, a high voltage strikes the arc and then the
voltage decreases.
  One side measures 2.68 Meg ohms (not my fingers) and the other side is
open.
  So, I'll splurge for a new bulb.

     Thanks, Mikek

Re: Troubleshoot desk lamp

You could check the ballast first if you want by lashing up a 20w+ CFL tube to it.

NT

Site Timeline