Trimpot with decent rotational life?

Hi, all,

I'm doing a lab special for some folks in the physics department of the University of Oxford. It's an interesting wrinkle on the laser noise canceller, which is going to work with some HgCdTe photodiodes at 5 microns. (*)

These gizmos are probably significantly less linear than silicon diodes, so I'm giving them an offset current adjust pot so that they can tweak the cancellation point a little bit. Thus they're going to be adjusting that pot quite often.

Trouble is, all the trim pots I can find are ~200 cycles rated rotational life, or not rated at all.

Any fave longer-life trim pots?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

(*) I'm getting a factor of nearly 10 improvement in cancellation bandwidth (in the spherical-cow SPICE universe) by putting a bandaid on the MAT14 supermatch quad NPN. It uses one SiGe:C NPN to make a Darlington, thereby returning nearly all the base current to the collector, and another one as a CE stage looking at the MAT14's base and driving the other SiGe's base to force the MAT14's base to stay still out to high frequency. I have to put in bias at the MAT14 base and take it out again from the collectors, but since I need an offset current pot anyway that's not much of a worry.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den tirsdag den 9. maj 2017 kl. 23.17.57 UTC+2 skrev Phil Hobbs:

can't use a regular pot?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I think long life and trim pot, don't belong in a sentence together. I'll second Lasse and suggest a regular pot. We use a lot of clarostat 392 series,

If it's a one/ few of, the price can't matter.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

+1
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Something like this, with some good pushbuttons?

This is the first non-Maxim part in DigiKey's search, so there may be better choices.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

We use the Bourns 3314G surface-mount pots. They are very reliable. I think the 200 turn rating is wildly pessimistic, like those 1000 hour electrolytic cap specs.

Setting them to 0.1% of rotation is dicey. 1% is easy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Looks that way, I agree. Regular pots are normally carbon or plastic, which are easier on the wiper plating but have horrible tempcos.

I'll probably just have to burn enough current in the pot that its tempco d oesn't matter so much. (The offset adjust circuit is a 200k resistor from t he summing node to a 20k pot between +15 and ground, so a 2000 ppm/K plasti c pot is a fairly serious inconvenience.) Might need another op amp, and th ere are six already. :(

This circuit has some weird component values, e.g. a 1000 uF cap bypassing a 10-ohm sense resistor in a 100-MHz bandwidth bootstrap.

Fun though.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Some claim a much higher rotational life but you'd have to obtain hard data first:

Not sure how they get to 10,000 for rotational life.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

He has an army of hunchbacks, and can surely buy a few screwdrivers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There are conductive-plastic-over-wirewound pots with ridicuous life but commensurate price tags.

--

Bourns 3590 ten-turn WW pots are not as expensive as one might fear.

Because the helical element is long, resolution is high, and you can
even get 100K ohms.

--sp
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Encoder and DAC?

Reply to
krw

Nice parts, I agree. I don't have a panel to mount them on, but since I hav e a 200k resistor between the pot and anything sensitive, I might be able t o make a big hole in the board to mount the pot.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

On a sunny day (Tue, 9 May 2017 17:20:25 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Real 10 turns front panel pots come to mind, but also do it digital with up / down buttons and a PIC EEPROM memory? Perhaps driving a DAC, or some MOSFETS?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks. I'm not a fan of pushbutton interfaces for tuning stuff, though, and just dumping in another op amp would be cheaper anyway. I'll probably go with a conductive-plastic pot and an OPA197.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nonvolatile DPOTS are cool, but you need to provide an SPI or I2C connector, and software. It's pretty easy to grab a screwdriver or a Swiss army knife and frob a trimpot.

DPOTS are slow, too. Trimpots are usable at a GHz or so.

A dipswitch is sometimes an alternate to a trimpot, but the pot will be smaller and cheaper and have more resolution.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Eh, others were already going down that road -- I thought I'd suggest this one for completeness.

I agree with you about buttons, BTW.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Trimpot and good twiddle life are contradictory. They're corner cutting devices for when they'll seldom need adjusting. Maybe use a pot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ave a 200k resistor between the pot and anything sensitive, I might be able to make a big hole in the board to mount the pot. We use a lot of those too. 1" diameter hole for pot (trim off plastic tabs on pot) and ~1/4" hole centered (somewhere) on the 1" circumference for the solder tabs.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No specified rotational life, but much more settable than cheaper parts.

I remember specifying a similar part for the Cambridge Instruments electron beam microfabricator. It was more expensive than the part it replaced, but the fact that you could set it precisely meant that final test saved about half an hour on getting the board set up - everybody ended up pleased abou t that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Next time get slots! Way stronger and easier to solder.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany