Trigonometry terminology

Do we have a handy term to say that two sinusoidal waves of equal frequency differ only by amplitude and phase? I would say 'correlated', but would that be the most common term?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I am not a super expert on this but I think you just described it the way it is described. I know of no specific word for it. I like to think my vocabulary is pretty good but I could be wrong.

You might try putting your description into a search engine and see what it says about it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Synchronous?

lunatic fringe electronics

I used to know the terms for this sort of thing, but can't remember. There are isochronous & isochronal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Same frequency, different amplitude and phase, is the best I can do :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How about locked in frequency (doesn't say anything about amplitude and phase).

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Those types of signals are called coherent. It is a very broad area of study, but, when you say coherent sine waves, the people who know the field will understand it to mean exactly what you describe.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

+42

Best suggestion yet

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Correlated is not correct. A since wave and cosine wave are totally uncorrelated.

Reply to
bulegoge

Jeroen Belleman wrote in news:q3f0qm$sqr$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Phase locked?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You could say two sinusoidal waves constructed from the same sin/cos basis pair.

Reply to
bulegoge

In tune.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

So the cross-correlation function is everywhere zero?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes indeed. My _IEEE Dictionary_ says it this way:

coherent (1) (fiber optics). Characterized by a fixed phase relationship between points on an electromagnetic wave. Note: A truly monochromatic wave would be perfectly coherent at all points in space. In practice, however, the region of high coherence may extend only a finite distance.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

** Such a term would be ambiguous and hence useless.

Two sine waves will differ only in phase and amplitude if one is *derived* from the other - eg the input and output of a filter or amplifier.

Or, although coming from independent sources, one is phase locked to the other with some fixed phase difference.

You do come up with some whacky absurdities.

Having a nice troll ??

... Phil

1.
Reply to
Phil Allison

Synchronous, or synchronized, means to me that the phase relationship is invariant, or equivalently that the cross-correlation function is constant.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

They are both sine waves with the same frequency. (that is it)

Amplitude and phase of each waveform is unspecified.

Or do you want to specify their amplitude ratio and phase?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Unison is a musical term or that.

Alan F.

Reply to
Alan Folmsbee

Ummm- could be any echo or a comparison to be made from some other channel transmission as with a lock-in amplifier.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

** An example of my first case.

** Same as my second case.

I see you are suffering from "echo" and trolling.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison