transformer secondary coupling

Hi,

If the secondary of a push-pull ferrite transformer requires significant HV clearance from the ferrite core will there still be enough coupling for it to operate efficiently assuming the primary is wrapped right onto the core? Also is it possible to use a simple ferrite rod as a transformer at least somewhat efficiently? For making a secondary with high clearance a ferrite rod is a lot easier than using a toroid or core. I was thinking of a 1" diameter, 6" long ferrite rod, with a single layer secondary 3" diameter and 6" long.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

You aren't saying how much voltage is "high", or how much coupling your anticipated circuit needs for "efficiency", or what your threshold is between "efficient" and "not efficient", etc., etc.

So here are a whole bunch of guesses with no absolutes, because you're not giving anyone enough information to go on.

To some extent that depends on your circuit. If you're using an E-core or a bobbin you're not going to lose a whole lot of coupling. You may need more snubbing than you would with a more tightly coupled transformer, though.

Your coupling would go way down, so I assume that your efficiency would suffer considerably, too.

It sounds like you're winding your own -- use an E-core of the appropriate size, and a bobbin. Winding will be easy, the bobbin will help keep the spacing right for isolation, and an E-core should keep the leakage down even with well separated windings.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

In general, yes.

Also is it possible to use a simple ferrite rod as a

There will be a lot of pri-sec leakage inductance, so the secondary, as a voltage source, will be soft, relatively high impedance. If you only need a small output current, it might work. You could resonate one or both windings just for fun.

How much output voltage and current do you need? AC or DC load?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Ferrite, or ferroxcube, or some company, published a single page of EXACTLY what you're asking. The chart shows EFFECTIVE permeability of a rod versus length/diameter ratios [plus rod's permeability, which once more than a certain amount has little impact]

For example a rod of infinite permeability still looks like around 100 if it's 1 inch long and 1/8 inch diameter [made that up, but you get the idea]

Plus, with a rod, you have to battle having all your field out in space being picked up by other electronics.

Reply to
Robert Macy

th

In fact, that why they use a rod for RF antenna.

Reply to
linnix

EXACTLY what you're asking. The chart shows EFFECTIVE permeability of a rod versus length/diameter ratios [plus rod's permeability, which once more than a certain amount has little impact]

Not exactly; OP is talking about a transformer. Rods make poor transformers due to the low inductivity and k. If you put another rod on the other side, and some flat pieces to bridge across them and make a connected magnetic path, you'll do alright. Such construction looks very much like the average flyback transformer core.

The page you're thinking of may very well be,

I snipped it from a book online by Pressman, Billings and Morey; evidently they got it from Micrometals, but I don't recall finding it on their website (it's probably buried in their literature somewhere).

Note also that the inductivity (uH/t^2) varies with position, so that turns towards the center have the highest, and turns at the exact end have about half the inductivity. These figures are the average over a winding covering the entire core. The turns on the end contribute little, so they are often omitted (which likewise raises the apparent average), as can be seen in most commercial parts. Those turns probably have higher eddy current losses, too, further lowering the Q.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Has reasonable efficiency if you're doing a resonant converter. You may even need to add leakage inductance (assuming you start with a closed loop core, like a flyback transformer core). Tricky part is calculating how much.

An open rod makes a terrible transformer, but it can still be usable. Before deflection was integrated, the oldest prototype TV sets used a (air cored) Tesla coil, or rod-cored construction, to generate HV from an oscillator. Later on, the whole deal (HV, focus, deflection, isolated filament voltages, auxiliary power and sync signals) was integrated, and the flyback transformer we know today has changed little since.

Tim

Tim Williams

Even older TVs, including ones sold to the public, had 60 Hz HV transformers.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I built one like that in 1948 using surplus radar parts. It's a wonder I didn't kill myself! The P7 phosphor on the CRT made for some interesting pictures. :-)

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

I have a 4FP7 on the bookshelf right above me. It glows nicely when I turn the light off.

It was an aircraft radar display CRT, a 4" square electrostatic-deflection PDA tube. I used to buy these from Fair Radio Sales when I was a kid. Just for fun, I emailed them recently just to see if they had any left. Yes, $25 each, so I got two.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hi,

It is probably 50kV and 50mA max DC load.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Yikes, that's 2.5 kilowatts! Serious stuff. Definitely not ferrite rod territory.

Consider a C-W multiplier.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Jamie Moron "

** You musty be utterly INSANE !!!

Piss off imbecile.

Reply to
Phil Allison

El 05-05-12 23:10, Jamie M escribió:

increasing the diameter of the secundary winding does reduce the coupling, but doesn't reduce the sec to sec coupling (for you push pull stage).

Try to figure out whether the prim or sec leakage inductance can be of use (for example current limiting).

You will very likely run into partial discharge and/or corona discharge problems.

What type of circuit are you using (current type or voltage type push pull)?

Regarding the output is at 50kV at 50 mA, or 50kV no load, 50mA short circuit?

--
Wim
PA3DJS

Ferrite, or ferroxcube, or some company, published a single page of

rmers

side,

erage

ite

ns

ering

ften

ost

,

Thanks for supplying that chart.

That's 'like' it, but not the one. I'll see if I can find it.

Forgot about the change in effective permeability versus position. Nasty stuff this magnetics.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Sounds like a six inch air gap, and a field that'll couple to anything that happens to be passing.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Hi,

I don't know the exact required current, 50kV at 50mA is an upper rough estimate of the power required.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

as long as it gets close enough pass through the hole it should work as a transformer.

for very low values of "somewhat"

look at the high voltage transformers used in old CRT displays, it's a square ring with HV winding on one side ans LV on the other.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Another project worthy of the "Phil Allison seal of approval"

Reply to
Jamie M

Hi,

For a custom ferrite core prototype, how well would packed ferrite powder work compared to a solid ferrite core? I guess the inductance would be lower due to the larger distributed air gap. I was thinking of making a wood or plastic form to hold the ferrite powder and also act as the primary to secondary insulation.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M