Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars. - Page 9

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

which are obviously personal computers. Total number of people using PCs is very much rising.

fairly immaterial to what the future holds. It's like saying 'how many people do you know own a TV' in 1939.

I have. And that statement of yours is a complete nonsequitur.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Banking and Amazon, too.  Though that isn't to say that there isn't
anything beyond the 3D printer.

I know of none but we have several at work.  One of my cow-orkers was
going to buy one and use it as a side business but he figured out that
it made no business sense.

+1

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Like what, a 4D printer?

Of course the ultimate would be a genuine Star Trek replicator:

"Computer a 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom and a cup of Earl Grey, hot."

Could that be because custom machine shops have real industrial grade
3D printers?

Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

So you think that after everyone has a 3D printer, the world will end?
Are you some sort of 3D Rastafarian, or something?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

I think the likelyhood of everyone having a 3D printer is quite remote.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
can you make a 3d printout with paper? so the surface contains rasied
texture..

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

But that's the point of this thread.

But let me put it another way....  If 3D printers are the "next
thing", are you saying that there can't be any "next, next thing"? The
world ends after "next"?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

That was one of my points.

The post that started all this was claiming people would be printing
everything at home including cars; utter nonsense.

3D printers are over 30 years old.

"The world ends" is babble.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

You seem to think I'm disagreeing with you.

Let me make this simple for the simple.  If 3D printers are "the next
thing".  Why is there not another "thing" beyond "the next thing"? End
of the world?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

That the post that started all this was claiming people would be printing
everything at home including cars?

I don't see you saying anything about the post that started all this.

3D printers are an old thing.

Are you saying we will have Star Trek replicators?

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Lots of things are around for a long time before they take hold and
mature.

Were you frightened by tribbles when you were very young?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

That wasn't my claim!  I've been arguing on your side of that silly
proposition.

You're not looking.

Woooosssshhhh!

Do pay attention.  <Wow!>

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

<snip>

What wasn't your claim?

That the post that started all this was claiming people would be printing
everything at home including cars?

The above is just a statement of fact.

I never said 3D printers are "the next thing" nor do I believe that.

The last "thing" in the manufacturing world was the industrial revolution
which started in the late 18th century and became fully mature in the
early 20th century.

THAT changed the world.

FYI I concider 3D printing to be little more than a refinement of Damascus
steel, a process from the 3rd century.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

So you missed oil, electronics and electronic computers, cars, what else.

Oookay.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

You really can't read?  I thought better of you.

Which I *completely* disagree with but for some reason you insist on
arguing with someone who agrees with you.

Try reading for comprehension.

Oh, good grief.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Well thanks but I'm having problems parsing extactly what it is you are
agreeing with an what you are disagreeing with.

OK, fine, we both agree that the post that started all this was claiming
people would be printing everything at home including cars.

OK, what part of I never said 3D printers are "the next thing" nor do I
believe that do you have an issue with?

So what is the essential diffence between Damascus steel and 3D printing?

Both take chunks of a base material and fuse the chunks into a bigger
object.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Actually, no, they don't.  What you are describing are later attempts
to replicate Damascus steel by pattern welding that did not produce
the same stuff at all.  No one knows how to make the original Damascus
steel.

As far as that goes, that's not what 3D-printing does, either, except
at the very extreme that says everything is made that way.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
says...

The original point was that the original "personal computers" were
hideously expensive, very hard to use, and didn't do a whole lot.  There
absolutely were a lot of people who said "I'll never need one of those"
back in the early 1980s.  Yet they can be found (in desktop or laptop
form) in the vast majority of houses in the US because the price
dropped, they became much easier to use, and they could do a lot more
(i.e. high speed Internet versus acoustic modems and BBSes),

Besides, smart phones prove the point AGAIN!  When the original Apple
iPhone came out, it didn't have it's "killer app" which was the App
Store, so the orignal wasn't terribly functional.  On top of that, cell
data service at the time was slow, slow, slow, so even surfing the
Internet was painful with these new "smart phones".  But again, the
majority of phones I see today are now "smart phones".  They're cheaper,
more functional (more apps), and the cell data networks are quite good
these days.

New technologies keep getting cheaper and more accessible for
individuals to use all the time!  It's a pretty safe bet that the very
same thing will happen with 3D printing.

printing

That's today.  We're talking about the trending of the technology.

That sure as hell seems to be what you're arguing.

Jeff
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

New technologies will not make aluminum or plastic cheaper.

Printing speed is limited by basic physics.

Most people can not be bothered to make their own bread or biscuits on
equipment they already own.

3D printers for home use are already less than $200; how many people do
you know that have one?

The trending of the technology for home use is anybodies guess; my guess
is that it will be trivial and hobbiests just like the people that own
machinery like drill presses and milling machines.

Maybe to the typical internet generation knee jerker that immediately
responds with anger and bile to what he THINKS was said as opposed to
what was actually said.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Well let's see. Today when you buy plastic or ali it's bulk purchased by th
e mfr and shipped often long distance. Then there are markups at each stage
 of distribution. That all costs. With a future 3d printer you can probably
 feed it the plastics & ali cans people today throw away, cost zero to scra
p price, which is of course a lot cheaper.

Yes. What is the physical limit of the number of printing nozzles that can
operate at once in a cube?

We already demolished that false argument

and that one

NT

Site Timeline