Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Banking and Amazon, too. Though that isn't to say that there isn't anything beyond the 3D printer.

I know of none but we have several at work. One of my cow-orkers was going to buy one and use it as a side business but he figured out that it made no business sense.

+1
Reply to
krw

obviously, printing objects composed of mixed materials.

Reply to
Serg io

Nonsense.

3D printing is simply making some prototypes easiery to make.

CAD software has to a certain extent revolutionized engineering, but that is very old news.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Like what, a 4D printer?

Of course the ultimate would be a genuine Star Trek replicator:

"Computer a 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom and a cup of Earl Grey, hot."

Could that be because custom machine shops have real industrial grade

3D printers?

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Just as PCs made prototypes *faster* and easier to design. Rather revolutionary. Really.

And 3D printing takes it to the next level.

Reply to
krw

So you think that after everyone has a 3D printer, the world will end? Are you some sort of 3D Rastafarian, or something?

Reply to
krw

3d printing is already used in jewellery making.

We pay shops mainly because we don't own the means of production due to cost. Once it becomes cheaper to print at home and skill-free, most will.

As far as I'm concerned the less retail shops exist the better, in the sense that they're a huge extra cost in the supply chain.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Actually real engineering companies were using CAD software well before there was such a thing as a PC. Really.

That and N/C controlled mills and lathes.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

I think the likelyhood of everyone having a 3D printer is quite remote.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

That is NOT the argument for most of us. The argument is whether they are 'game changing' or not. Jimp the Chimp argues that they are niche applications at best and will never be anything else. The counter-argument is when you start listing niches and potential niches, pretty soon you're changing the game in a lot of places.

 territory."
                                      --G. Behn
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

Again, just what does that really limit, if we accept it as a limit (and it is a much more specific limit than that).

 territory."
                                      --G. Behn
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

The original point was that the original "personal computers" were hideously expensive, very hard to use, and didn't do a whole lot. There absolutely were a lot of people who said "I'll never need one of those" back in the early 1980s. Yet they can be found (in desktop or laptop form) in the vast majority of houses in the US because the price dropped, they became much easier to use, and they could do a lot more (i.e. high speed Internet versus acoustic modems and BBSes),

Besides, smart phones prove the point AGAIN! When the original Apple iPhone came out, it didn't have it's "killer app" which was the App Store, so the orignal wasn't terribly functional. On top of that, cell data service at the time was slow, slow, slow, so even surfing the Internet was painful with these new "smart phones". But again, the majority of phones I see today are now "smart phones". They're cheaper, more functional (more apps), and the cell data networks are quite good these days.

New technologies keep getting cheaper and more accessible for individuals to use all the time! It's a pretty safe bet that the very same thing will happen with 3D printing.

printing

That's today. We're talking about the trending of the technology.

That sure as hell seems to be what you're arguing.

Jeff

Jeff Findley

This actually hurts your point. A dozen or more years ago, no one would have imagined using phones for what we use them for now.

And really a smart phone is just a tiny computer that happens to make phone calls. Again, it's the same argument made decades ago but folks not needing computers in the home.

I'd have to poll, but at least 2 I'm sure of, and I think the number is closer to 6. And if I include access to them at libraries, workerspaces, etc. then easily dozens.

Really? You need to get out more. I'd say the number of folks I know who own

3D printers is about the same as those who own the other items you mention.

That is basically your claim.

--
Greg D. Moore                   http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
IT Disaster Response -

(mixed materials => several different types of materials)

can you "print" copper onto steel ? would that work ? what type of gas would you use to exclude H2, N2 and O2 ? why would you do such ?

Reply to
Serg io

New technologies will not make aluminum or plastic cheaper.

Printing speed is limited by basic physics.

Most people can not be bothered to make their own bread or biscuits on equipment they already own.

3D printers for home use are already less than $200; how many people do you know that have one?

The trending of the technology for home use is anybodies guess; my guess is that it will be trivial and hobbiests just like the people that own machinery like drill presses and milling machines.

Maybe to the typical internet generation knee jerker that immediately responds with anger and bile to what he THINKS was said as opposed to what was actually said.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Very few people want a computer in their home, most people want an entertainment device.

I will admit I know very few teenagers.

Yet another knee jerker that reads what they think was written and not what was actually written.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Well let's see. Today when you buy plastic or ali it's bulk purchased by th e mfr and shipped often long distance. Then there are markups at each stage of distribution. That all costs. With a future 3d printer you can probably feed it the plastics & ali cans people today throw away, cost zero to scra p price, which is of course a lot cheaper.

Yes. What is the physical limit of the number of printing nozzles that can operate at once in a cube?

We already demolished that false argument

and that one

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh. I thought a smartphone was a computer, and that they were highly popular.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

can you make a 3d printout with paper? so the surface contains rasied texture..

Reply to
The Starmaker

The "next industrial revolution" is a bit more than you pretend above. You're wrong.

Reply to
krw