Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars. - Page 6

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:17:55 -0700, Fred J. McCall

The "next industrial revolution" is a bit more than you pretend above.
You're wrong.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Thank you, Assertions R Us.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

If you want to see a tool someone made at home, look in the mirror.

--
You are
What you do

Perhaps, but have you been to a craft store in the last 5 years?
They've been selling commercial 2d robotic cutters for many years that
are about the size of an ink-jet printer.  The stupid thing shows
absolutely no sign of stopping even though the "cartridges" which
contain the cutting patterns are DRM protected and *very* expensive.
They are mostly used by people who like to do scrap books, but others
use them for making their own greeting cards and etc.

In those same craft stores is a large jewelery making section.  Those
"memory bracelets" people make are a hot thing because "every item on it
represents a memory".  In other words, these things are already highly
customized.

So, I wouldn't discount the notion that the crafts stores might start
selling very small 3d metal printers for making little dangling things
for jewelery (memory bracelets, necklace charms, and etc.) since this
would drop right into the market-space.  They would only need to print
at most 3" x 3" x 3" to cover 99% of the jewelery market.

That same metal printer would sell "big league" at game stores where
custom cast characters for board games are already a huge market.  In
other words Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40k, and etc.  Even if an
individual player wouldn't want one, every damn game store on the planet
would want at least a couple.

Jeff
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

I'd have thought it more likely they would sell thermal wax 3D printers
to make the master for a lost wax casting in silver or other metal.

Then they would offer a service to cast the good ones to order.

Maybe. I'd have thought a paintable plastic would be OK for this though.

Martin Brown

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

    Craft people like working in all materials. That's one of the reasons
they came up with metal clay -- clay material that when fired creates
actual metal items.

    So 3D printers for metal, plastic, glass, anything, they'll be up for that.

--
                      Sea Wasp
                        /^\

Why wouldn't they just send the company the files and have them do the
whole thing?  That could be done today.  See anyone doing it?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

3d printing is already used in jewellery making.

We pay shops mainly because we don't own the means of production due to cost. Once it becomes cheaper to print at home and skill-free, most will.

As far as I'm concerned the less retail shops exist the better, in the sense that they're a huge extra cost in the supply chain.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

In what percentage of homes?

Not a chance.  People are *not* going to be casting gold and silver in
their homes.

Buying sight unseen is not my favorite.  Retail has a propose.  IMO,
retail fails in its purpose so is easy pickings for the online sites
(and even box stores).

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

in business

Feel free to show us a valid reason why domestic 3d printers will never get there.

Absolutely. But when you can wipe out *most* of the cost of an item by skipping the wholesale & retail networks, it will be more than tempting, it will take over.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

No one said they weren't useful, just that they aren't going to be
ubiquitous.  Not everyone is going to have one and the "new industrial
revolution" isn't moving back to the individual.  They're in the same
class as lathes and CNC machines (which jewelers also have).

Because there is no use case.  As has been pointed out (many times),
people buy biscuits.  They rarely make them.

But you can't do both.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

you've offered nothing to support that

that has already been debunked in this thread

that has already been debunked in this thread too

I don't know what that means

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Any bets on what his response will be, Jeff?  I'm betting it will
include the word 'niche', 'crap', or both.  You see, the entire world
falls in those categories unless it is something we've been doing
since the 1930s...

--
You are
What you do

By those standards black powder firearms will take over the firearms world.

I'm not saying there is not and will not be a bunch of niche users of
3D printing.

What I am saying is that 3D printing is not going to be the next industrial
revolution.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

major limitation is, one cannot "print" higher melting temp material on
lower melting point material.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

And just what does that really limit?

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

obviously, printing objects composed of mixed materials.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Again, just what does that really limit, if we accept it as a limit
(and it is a much more specific limit than that).

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

(mixed materials => several different types of materials)

can you "print" copper onto steel ?
would that work ?
what type of gas would you use to exclude H2, N2 and O2 ?
why would you do such ?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

It already is for certain types of fast prototyping of intricate parts.

Martin Brown

Site Timeline