Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

e:

rote:

uy most things

abricating

hings) by

ecomes

xamples.

lly when

or Freight

useful comparison.

tion disappears,

eone who does

mple, if they

f years

hings

differences to home manufacture of previous centuries.

wed the skills of the few to be imparted to goods for the many. So it solve d the variable skill problem, mostly. It also made production cheaper via e xpensive high output machinery and people trained to do just one task.

It centralised investment in the entire manufacturing process: tooling, fac tory, staff, transport, the lot. 3d printing could wipe out the factory, pa id staff, transport & profit for those running the factory. That's most of the costs gone.

click on a product you can see its appearance and see user comments - is i t durable, does it work well, could it be improved etc. So the skill issue is solved, just in a different way. You can choose well designed competent products.

See above reply.

And it never will. In today's 3d printing only the minority alter designs, mostly products made are copies of existing designs. Roll that out to the m ass market and that pattern continues, with a heavier emphasis on consumeri sm than design.

People already design & let others use their designs for free. Sites hostin g such profit on the sidelines from advertising etc.

ed product, the machine does the rest. Of course that's not how it is today , but there's every reason to believe in perhaps 30 years time 3d printing will be that easy. All the choices are in the files, you need do nothing mo re than dump your household rubbish in the hopper and click on the product that it shows you have the necessary materials and printer abilities for.

Machines in 30 years will be cheaper & much more capable. If say a machine cost 200GBP (250USD) and could make all your household plastic goods includ ing shelves, coffee tables, chairs, bathroom floor tiles & much more, it wo uldn't make financial sense to not buy one. Same as today a car costs more than a horsecart, but no-one would choose a cart over a car, it doesn't mak e economic or practical sense today.

Consumables are mostly household rubbish, so often free. No education is in volved, as I've explained repeatedly.

face it, for all the babble about quality it's price that rules for a high percentage of consumer purchases.

No factories, no staff, no profit, no advertising, no delivery... whatever more do you want?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yet you discount the investment/0pportunity cost and craning that _everyone_ would have to make/absorb.

Ditto.

So your comment about improving designs is moot.

That's a great business model.

Dream on.

So you're going to refine household waste to recover the consumables. Why don't you just jump the Star Trek replicator.

Wrong. The "factories" are duplicated, 100 million times.

Reply to
krw

Apples and oranges, they are nowhere as flexible as mature fabricator technology would be, nor as easy to use.

Even making bread is more difficult than simply selecting a file, loading feedstock and pressing a button.

Besides, millions of people "make their own stuff" every day, although it's primarly digital content these days.

Reply to
David Mitchell

Obviously you have never seen a N/C milling machine in action nor payed for raw stock.

Obviously you have never seen a real 3D printer in action nor have you ever made bread.

Otherwise know as trash, SPAM, and utter nonsense.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Well, that's certainly true in your case.

 territory."
                                      --G. Behn
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

Hook it to the right controller and it is. I saw a youtube of someone printing a kid's playcastle using a concrete pump device of some kind.

We are geeks.  Resistance is voltage over current.
Reply to
Greg Goss

I haven't been following the Tesla and similar modern electric cars. I seem to recall that twenty years ago, they were predicting that the big advantage of electric cars would be motors IN the wheels and no transmission at all. Did anyone ever go that route?

(My Ford hybrid has two electric motors and the gas engine. I am having trouble finding a good overview of the transmission, but it seems to be based on a differential concept.)

--
We are geeks.  Resistance is voltage over current.
Reply to
Greg Goss

his case has not gone to trial yet.

Reply to
S??g io

*paid

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Done both; what's your point? As I keep having to explain, I'm talking about *mature* fabrication technology.

Irrelevant.

Reply to
David Mitchell

The problem with the motors in the wheels is that it is going to be a bumpy ride becaus of the large mass outside of spring suspension.

So has my Lexus. It is similar to the Toyota Prius scheme, which is pretty well described in the Net.

However, Ford may have patent problems with Toyota, or they may hava a licensing agreement.

--

-TV
Reply to

I believe he was talking about future 3d printing, not today's machines, which obviously need a good deal of development before any hope of mass deployment.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

r for

he

. This

gine.

tor(!)

Bumpiness of ride depends on the springs between wheel & body. Greater unsprung mass means poorer following of road uevenness, which degra des grip. It is still sprung by the tyres of course, but not a lot. So the motors get to experience greater lateral forces than they would mounted und er the bonnet. Every vehicle design is a mix of advantages & compromises.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That you have no idea how things are made in the real world.

What do you concider "mature fabrication technology"?

The way you are talking I would think that would be a Star Trek replicator.

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Don't be an idiot. The thread is clearly about modern marvels, like carbon fiber, not concrete. Geez, people turn intentionally stupid when they run out of ideas (like leftists).

Reply to
krw

Unsprung weight is not a good thing.

Reply to
krw

whoa! "print" a garden using dirt !

"Print" a wood framed House !

"Print" sand castles at the beach !!

"Print" new teeth in place, (dentists)

"Print" new shoes onto your feet !!!

(leftist will run with that, also CNN)

Reply to
S??g io

The word being used is 'composites'. Unlike you, I don't try to read peoples' minds to discover that they don't really mean 'composites' at all. I take them at their word and assume that if they mean 'carbon fiber' they will say that rather than 'composites'.

 only stupid."
                            -- Heinrich Heine
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

Desktop Metal says their method for metal 3D-printing is superior to the the laser sintering for volume production of metal parts because of the laser methods slow rate of deposition. DM claims 100 times faster production rates than the laser method. But since this high production rate comes from using many more print heads, it seems to me you could get the faster deposition rate with the laser method by using, say, 100 copies of the lasers.

Laser 3D metal printing commonly uses a 200W laser. So to scale this up 100 times would require 20,000W. The cheapest cost I've seen for lasers were by manufacturers in China in the $15 per watt range. So 20,000W would cost in the range of $300,000. Most likely the lasers would be the primary cost for the machines, so call it ca. $600,000 for the full machine able to duplicate the Desktop Metal production rate.

One laser 3D metal printing company also suggests use of wirefeed rather than a powder bed can increase the production rate and also reduces the cost of the material:

VIDEO: Is Wirefeed the Future of Selective Laser Sintering? James Anderton posted on December 19, 2016 |

Near the end of this video they also suggest scaling the laser up to the

15,000W range could bring the production rate to the level of other commonly used metal production methods.

Bob Clark

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize

21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital launchers, to 'flying cars'. This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.

Robert Clark

I was told that the entire engine and transmission scheme was licenced from Toyota. I sometimes call it a "Ford Prius V"

--
We are geeks.  Resistance is voltage over current.
Reply to
Greg Goss

Ford and Toyota independently developed very similar systems that they cros s-licensed. I think it was based on a design by TRW in the 70's.

It is similar to a differential but implemented with sun and planet gearing .

One motor/generator balances the torque of the engine, while the other dri ves the axle in addition to direct torque from the engine. Electrical power flows between the two motor/generators with the battery providing bufferin g.

The gearing is arranged so that at cruising speeds most of the power to the wheels goes through the mechanical path for efficiency and it acts like a parallel hybrid. Under other conditions significant power is transferred e lectrically and it acts like a serial hybrid.

The engine can run at almost any speed independent of road speed so it can be kept at a very efficient part of its RPM/torque curve without any steppe d gear changes.

If the required power to the road is less than the engine can provide effic iently it can be stopped and the car be powered only by the battery.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93