Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Making 3D printing faster & cheaper is a challenge. How might it be done?

- many nozzles instead of 1

- machines that replicate and stack many high

- machines that run without human input, either entirely or mostly, thus mostly eliminating walkways etc

- maybe stacked cube shaped printers could be weatherproof and run outdoors.

- machines sense where there is already plastic and fast forward past those places. Now blocks or generic preformed shapes can be placed on the print bed to save time. Or even waste plastic lumps.

- machines place sand particles as well as plastic. Place molten plastic, then adding a sand grain doubles construction rate (very roughly) as well as reducing material cost.

It's all maybes, but fairly likely maybes.

Meanwhile 3d is already massively faster & will be much cheaper in house construction, a major industry.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fast forward well into the future & your household goods will be regularly reprinted to new designs that use ever less material.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because it is fast and cheap.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Nonsense; the items in one's house are based on price not how elegantly it was produced.

It makes no sense to honeycomb the inside of a knife handle as it would add no functionality and just increase the price.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Well, if you want to compare composite materials and 3D printing, composite materials have been around for over a half century and the usage is still trivial compared to traditional materials in just about all products other than camper shells and ski boats.

So we can expect 3D printers to still be niche in 50 years.

I didn't choose the groups and it is being posted to other groups as well.

In the overall scheme of things, aerospace is a niche industry.

Nor is is sci.niche.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Jeff Findley schrieb:

One nice thing about 3D printing is that you can create voids in places you cannot with conventional technologies.

This can help a _lot_ when putting in cooling channels (wildly important for turbine manufacturers who always fight for that extra

10 K of maximum temperature to get that extra bit of efficiency), or when you can put in a void where you don't actually need material, and all it would do would be to add mass and/or create thermal stress on heating up or cooling down.
Reply to
Thomas Koenig

Good, fast, cheap - choose any two. It's obvious where the Chimp lives...

--
You are
What you do

Jesus, get back to your trailer park until you gain some experience in the real world.

Well, YOU can no doubt expect that, but you're pretty well known for having your head up and locked.

You didn't? Do you not know how your newsreader works, or what?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

Lightweight metal silverware is a bit of a niche area, but there is an existing market. Titanium spork is a popular item for backpackers. It's insane how light those things are. Backpackers will spend big bucks to shave an ounce off of a piece of equipment.

Jeff

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Findley

What do you think the market may be for 3D printed frizzens?

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

frozen in time

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you saying that castings are not good?

Reply to
krw

Marketing types certainly do. Consumers have always bought toasters based on their looks. After all, the thousands of different designs all do the same thing.

Reply to
krw

Precisely what do you disagree with in the sentence?

"composite materials have been around for over a half century and the usage is still trivial compared to traditional materials"

Seems like someone insulted your binkie.

Reply to
krw

There is no reason to expect it would, particularly since the device would be mostly air. Higher speed would cost more but to just produce larger widgets wouldn't scale linearly.

Everything electronic, anyway.

Reply to
krw

And all look about the same.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

I'm saying what I said.

 territory."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

I was trying to help you make some sense of your nonsense but I guess there wasn't any to make.

Reply to
krw

I disagree that you have included his entire thought. Given his sphere of knowledge of the use of composites, which he calls out as "camper shells and ski boats", he's obviously trailer trash.

Composites are widely used all over the place. Many of them the Chimp probably thinks of as 'traditional materials'. Both concrete and mortar are composite materials and we've been using that stuff since the Romans. Composites of various types are used all over the place, from piping to appliances to aircraft to construction materials.

Every time we see the Chimp around here he is arguing a stupid position adamantly. Perhaps you and he should get a room?

--
You are
What you do
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred J. McCall

I'm sorry you're stupid and have never designed anything in the real world, but I can't fix you.

 territory."