Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

We are geeks.  Resistance is voltage over current.
Reply to
Greg Goss

That's funny. You'd rather pay full retail for something than a few units of electricity?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've already explained one of the ways how that doesn't stop it getting cheaper. There are others too, such as business getting ever more financially efficient over time.

Which bit of physics prevents the use of many nozzles again?

whoosh

It is so far from mature technology. It's trivial to see some of the ways it can improve greatly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The point is that CAD on minicomputers was very minimal. It was the domain of the mainframe. Rubylith was the tool of choice for the electronics industry.

Reply to
krw

That wasn't my claim! I've been arguing on your side of that silly proposition.

You're not looking.

Woooosssshhhh!

Do pay attention.

Reply to
krw

Than have my own aluminum smelter? You bet! I don't have a ceramics kiln, either.

Reply to
krw

Not to belabor a point, but about those nerds....

They invented the aerospace industry. They invented the electronics industry, and made out pretty well. They invented information and communication technology and took money to the bank by the truckload. (Seeing a trend here?) They're busily engaged in inventing robots, biological engineering, applied genetics.

So, no, they don't represent the average person. They represent the above-average person.

I'm a nerd, in my own modest way, and damn' proud of it.

Hell Jim, you used to be an electrical engineer, didn't you? Have you thanked a nerd lately? You should.

--
R L Watkins
Reply to

That was not my experience.

Yes, companies used Rubylith, but the tool of choice was CAD on minicomputers.

The only mainframe application was Spice.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Most of the people involved were hard working, level headed engineers and programmers working in teams not socially inept loners in mommy's basement.

Your definition of nerd is not my definition of nerd.

Nope.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

What wasn't your claim?

That the post that started all this was claiming people would be printing everything at home including cars?

The above is just a statement of fact.

I never said 3D printers are "the next thing" nor do I believe that.

The last "thing" in the manufacturing world was the industrial revolution which started in the late 18th century and became fully mature in the early 20th century.

THAT changed the world.

FYI I concider 3D printing to be little more than a refinement of Damascus steel, a process from the 3rd century.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

And still be nowhere as fast as casting, molding, or stamping by orders of magnitude.

Nonsense.

How much better, faster, and cheaper has the pencil become since it's invention in the 16th century?

Some technology gets better, faster, and cheaper with time and some is pretty near mature shortly after it's invention.

Accuracy depends on deposition size. Depositon size determines total depostition time. Wait time between layers is limited by the hardening time of the last layer.

Apples and oranges and irrelevant.

If it is a hobby, it doesn't really matter what happens, how long it takes, what it costs, or if it is worth anything to anybody.

And yet few people these days have breadmakers since the fad is over.

Color printing goes back a lot farther than that and is still not very fast for consumer grade printers.

A couple of decades ago there were color printers whose feed was a truck with a roll of paper backed up to the printer and that printed so fast that the paper needed cooling to prevent it from bursting into flames.

Consumer printers got cheap because they have limited capabilities and can be mass produced by methods like injection molding and stamping of component parts.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

If in many years time I can have a machine that prints aluminium into all sorts of goods using nothing but empty cans, I'll pay the 3 units of electricity.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that's a bit of a myth. Reality is both groups have an impact on the advance of technology.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So you missed oil, electronics and electronic computers, cars, what else.

Oookay.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

BTW, there is this new innovation:

The World's First Home Robotic Chef Can Cook Over 100 Meals. Eustacia Huen , CONTRIBUTOR. OCT 31, 2016 @ 11:17 PM

These robotic arms put a five-star chef in your kitchen - YouTube.

I'm sure quite a few people would push the button for fresh baked bread.

Bob Clark

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize

21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital launchers, to 'flying cars'. This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.

Robert Clark

There are other ways to speed it up too that are known today. And it's far from a mature technology.

I'm no expert on pencils, but if the wiki section on pencil history is anything to go by: hugely cheaper, hugely better, hugely faster to make.

Today we don't have different size jets selectable on the fly. That will likely change.

Today we don't have the ability to print onto preexisting generic blanks or semirandom lumps of material. That will likely change.

which depends on printer temperature, airjets, types of plastic of which more are discovered over the years, etc

Your argument that 3d printers can't improve significantly is completely and utterly unsupportable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, i am buying some 8" 1mm aluminum disks for $2. At 20 cents per kilowatt for electricity, i bet it would be much more to do it myself, even if materials and my labors are free.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I'm sure that at a price of $92,000 very few people will have the slightest interest in it.

People that have the money to blow on such gadgets are more likely to hire help.

--
Jim Pennino
Reply to

Bullshit! Tell that to Boeing. You're simply clueless.

Reply to
krw

You really can't read? I thought better of you.

Which I *completely* disagree with but for some reason you insist on arguing with someone who agrees with you.

Try reading for comprehension.

Oh, good grief.

Reply to
krw