Towards an electrically tunable solid state Tera Hertz laser

Towards an electrically tunable solid state Tera Hertz laser:

Now that would be nice to have :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tera hertz is such a buzz word... back in the day we just called it the Far-infrared. :^) We used this big old FIR laser that used organic vapors pumped by a big CO2 laser. (hah, you can buy one one ebay... sans the CO2.)

The problem with the Far-IR is that it's darn hard to make good detectors... without very low temperatures. (a 1 mm wavelength has an energy of about 1 meV.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

"...a carefully designed, aperiodic series of quantum wells of various thicknesses made from gallium arsenide and aluminium gallium arsenide, on top of which they deposited a thin gold waveguide (see figure). Above this, they deposited an atomically thin layer of graphene. They made a series of subwavelength slits in the gold waveguide, forcing electrons to tunnel between the quantum wells in the form of plasmons in the graphene. Finally, they deposited a polymer electrolyte, which allowed them to apply a gate potential to the graphene and thereby control the plasmonic wavelengths it supports."

Geez..., sheer geniuses if you ask me. :)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

On a sunny day (Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:54:37 +0000) it happened Joe Hey wrote in :

If you just leave the buzz word 'quantum' out then it is quite understandable, and a plasmon is just a bunch of stuff moving in unison.

I was thinking about ceramic resonators... when Iread that. (SAW filters).

But quantum probably gets them better funded, although that cat is dead.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 06:41:17 -0800 (PST), George Herold Gave us:

Now, we study things like the "sea mouse".

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:54:37 +0000, Joe Hey Gave us:

Then they said "No aplaz pleaze..."

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:14:46 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

Slow light is where it's at, and quantum computer processors are only one result...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno