Toroid winding question.

I need to wind a ferrite toroid. Two windings, 65 turns and 10 turns.

65 turns on first with 0.5mm wire, single layer, nice and snug. I know that a 'there and back' two-layer winding would avoid the single turn external field, but I don't much care.

The 10 turn winding needs to be thicker wire, but enamelled copper is unwieldy when thick. I could fit insulated stranded wire in there nicely and it would be much easier.

Would this be a problem? The insulation is much thicker so there's more of a gap between the windings, which I guess reduces the inter-winding capacitance (not that that's an issue) and of course there's much more thermal insulation, but just looking at the magnetics, would it matter?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Not very much. You can look at it as being the sum of two current sheets: one wrapping tightly around the core, and another annular one whose inner layer cancels out the first sheet and whose outer layer represents the actual windings. The annular one doesn't enclose the core, so the field in the core is the same as with an equal current per unit length in a tight winding.

There will be some additional field outside the core due to the outer annulus, which will increase the leakage inductance of the transformer a bit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest.

--
Clive
Reply to

Shouldn't matter. Use that thermal-strip pseudo-Litz wire maybe. Or the thin-skin Teflon insulated stuff.

Can you use a pot core? Toroids are a pain to wind and mount.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks. High vibration, so no pot cores, high temperature so yes, Teflon. Thin skinned? Is that special or just the normal class A?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

This sort of stuff. Military, fine strand, thin teflon insulation:

lunatic fringe electronics

Huh, how is a toroid easier to mount (with respect to vibration) than a pot core?

Low profile pot cores are available, too, and half a dozen other low-profile shapes (for bobbin and planar use).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

What bandwidth? Impedance? Leakage?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Beware if you put a metal screw through the center of a toroid.

makolber

Why?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Huh, what happens? It's only ~1/2 a shorted turn. I've seen big power supply toroids with metal screws (through the center) holding them in place.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You can't have half a turn on a toroid.

I had a toroid power supply transformer held in place with one screw through its centre, mounted inside a flat aluminium box. The box was so flat in fact, that the cover would sometimes press on the top of the screw, thus completing a shorted single-turn winding. It made the transformer pretty hot and the short-circuit current caused severe hum on the analog signals. A layer of tape on the inside surface of the cover over the transformer fixed it.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Metallic fasteners thru pot cores can royally screw up the works. So I've always resorted to the spring-clip style of mounting. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I measured a pot core with and without a ss screw through the hole. No apparent difference.

We use ss screws to mount pot cores and toroids; no problems.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

True ss screws are good. Sometimes hard to find at the onesey/twosey quantity.

Most ss appliances aren't ss. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Not easier, but less susceptible.

Toroid is one piece, so no separate parts to jiggle about. It gets strapped down and potted. This is serious vibration, outside my normal comfort zone, so I'll go with the guys who've done it before.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Home Depot and Lowes carry them, onesey-twosey. If you want more, they're readily available at the usual places.

They're SS, just not the 30x varieties we normally associate with SS.

Reply to
krw

There is a difference, depending on whether the core is gapped. A ferromagnetic screw is OK, if the core is not gapped. The screw messes the field in a gapped core.

A toroid can be mounted with a screw through the hole as long as there is no path around the screw on te outside of the core.

--

-TV
Reply to

If the toroid is wound without a reverse-layer return, you get a percent or two of the field induction axially on the screw. That screw is longer than the toroid is tall, so it has longer range coupling. 300 series SS is nominally not magnetic, but screw-rolling puts internal stresses in, so you can't count on as-annealed condition from the factory (nor after the box jostles a few dozen times).

It's credible that a screw could dominate the field leakage.

Reply to
whit3rd

OK, that makes sense. So the warning is not against a metal screw, but against a magnetic screw. (Unrelated but I have some brass

1/4-20 screws that I can pickup with a permanent magnet.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold