too cold

I put some epoxy on an EPC bga GaN fet to glob-top protect it. And looked for a warm place to put the board to speed up the cure. LED lights, switching power supplies, LCD scopes... there nothing warm any more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There is a little warm air coming out of the back of my 500 MHz Rigol scope. I put the board there.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This is a problem! I still keep a gooseneck lamp at my workbench with an incandescent bulb. Might be hard to find a replacement once my stock of bulbs burn out.

The fan exhaust on the laptop I keep at that bench has served me many times for curing epoxy.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

You need a high end laptop. My Dell Precision 6800 blows like a hair dryer. Well, maybe not that much air, but it can be pretty warm. Run a spice simulation and lay it behind the PC... it will get warm. I've kept my tea warm that way.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Power supply and a power resistor, stick it on copper clad, cover if you wish. Adjust current to taste.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'll write a compute-bound app, with lots of floating point, to keep my laptop exhaust warm.

Actually, LT Spice would work. It can use all the cores, too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Too bad you can't harness the power of all the hotheads on usenet... ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I have been meaning to make a little oven like that (but with a PID controller), in a thermos (vacuum flask), for drying a few chips before reflow, or curing epoxy, etc.

There were some nice small vacuum flasks at ikea with a very wide mouth. They don't insulate quite as well as others due to the wide mouth but it is good for a tiny oven.

If the power consumption is low then I could leave it on, so that I don't have to wait for warm-up time when curing epoxy.

Reply to
Chris Jones

With more circuitry you can use a transistor as heater... I've got a lamp that runs at 150 C with a TIP121 as heater/pass element. (up to 200C for a few hours.)

Melamine foam makes nice insulation.. again ~200C.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

buy a $30 dehydrator?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There are some cheap micro-refrigerators, consumer products, about big enough for one six-pack. One of those might be handy as a tiny environmental oven, when it's not worth firing up a big one.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No problem. Just place the work in the exhaust air stream from your computah while running a CPU stress test program such as Prime95: When I ran it last, the fan was spinning at maximum speed and sounded like a drone taking off. If you have a SMD hot air desoldering station or a hair dryer style hot air gun, it can probably be used to pre-heat the device and accelerate curing. However, I don't use any of these and prefer to use a coffee warmer or hot plate. I also have a toaster oven that I normally use for BGA or SMD reflow soldering, that I sometimes use for accelerated epoxy curing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I still have some beautiful Luxo bench/desk lamps, with 100W incandescent and 22W Circline fluorescent around the outside. They're wonderful to work with, and also good for curing epoxy. ;)

Of course I stockpiled a couple of hundred 100W bulbs back in 2012. Enough for a career. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I bought a couple hundred incandescents (around here somewhere) but then LEDs got so much better that we don't use them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Get one of these, $10. OK, get two, one for home.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

40 milliwatts?

lunatic fringe electronics

That probably over-estimates the useful power.

John Larkin's habit of posting links to denialist propaganda web-sites probably represents a rather larger expenditure of energy, but it clearly isn't useful.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin wrote

I still have a 200 W or so photo lamp.

And a 2 kW adjustable electric heater ! (has a fan too). Don't they sell those anymore in US? was about 32 $ here.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Phil Hobbs wrote

Car headlights, I have those too, get very hot, 12V, often use those for testing things.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD