TL431 supply current/gain Q

Looking at the internal schematic of the TL431:

It looks to me like startup of the bandgap reference occurs as "REF" is brought up to some voltage slightly above 1.2V, causing the leftmost diode-connected transistor to turn on and drive current into the transistor with its base connected to 1k, which then bootstraps current into the bandgap gain-stage via the PNP mirror and defines the operating points of the rest of the circuit.

Two questions occur:

The datasheet gives "OFF" state current (Vk = 36, Vref = 0) as between

100 and 500uA - is this only comprised of leakage currents?

Since the transistor connected to 1k is driven by a current, unless its beta is well-controlled I don't see how the current mirror current can be well-controlled. I think I understand the reasons for this, as when the '431 is in its "ON" state its supply current will be primarily the cathode current through the output stage, and IIRC bandgap performance is more dependent on matched scaling of emitter geometries than reference current. As you can buy them for 2 pennies I imagine they don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

My question is that since the mirror current defines the gain stage current (transistor with 20p wrapped around it) I don't see how the open-loop gain can be well-controlled between devices. The TI datasheet at least gives it at 55dB @ 25C and 10mA Ika.

Reply to
bitrex

That is to say one can build a multiple-feedback active filter out of one in a pinch, but I have noticed it is kind of a suck one. As you might expect...

Reply to
bitrex

I would ask you to run the math, but you can't cope with loop and nodal analysis >:-}

I have used TL431's as "one-legged" OpAmps for years, like since the late '70's... very nice! ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

TLV431s and LM4041-ADJs have much lower anode current when not in regulation than the vanilla TL431. The 4041 is especially useful because it works the other way up, i.e. it holds Vref between K and ADJ. That makes it just the thing for negative regulators--it saves you a transistor. Only goes up to 10V, unfortunately.

The adjustable LM385 is like the 4041 but with higher anode current and only goes up to 6V, weirdly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

0.5um Process. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

[snip]
[snip]

Reconsider that statement. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Yep. I had some "circuit-dyslexia." The diode-connected transistor is on the left, not on the right!

Reply to
bitrex

Right transistor is the gain stage with the right PNP acting as active load, and the 20p wrapped around it from the output for compensation.

The diode connected transistor to the "REF" pin pulls current out of the current source when the "REF" input falls below the threshold to keep the comparator snappy (or as snappy as a diode-connected transistor can be, I guess)

Reply to
bitrex

Pretty sure it's older than that--the non-adjustable 1.2V version is in the 1980 National Linear book. Maybe they weren't initially intending to make other voltage options, and the collector doping is way too high or something like that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It doesn't look too bad now that I consider the circuit more carefully.

There is a DC feedback loop around the band-gap that keeps the current through the pair constant and the defines the reference voltage at the emitter of the transistor connected to the "REF" pin. If everything is balanced, ideally no DC current flows through the 4k resistor (which would be bad as its emitter is grounded.) The collector of the DC feedback transistor connected to the 4k resistor is at virtual ground for signal.

If the voltage on the "REF" pin increases the current mirror enters conduction and sources current into the transistor connected to 1k. But the base of that transistor is connected to a stable reference and can only sink so much, so whatever excess flows into the output Darlington to pull the load down. Vice versa if the reference pin voltage drops below the virtual ground, the gain transistor will sink current out of the base of the Darlington and shut them down.

I will attempt to present an anal ysis later...;-)

Reply to
bitrex

My guess, before an actual analysis, is that the 1K is just there to prevent a current-hogging problem during start-up. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

The time constant in the equivalent RC circuit of the DC feedback loop and capacitor might be enough that in some situations (like PWMing a light load) the band-gap is staying continually active, but the current source is starting up and shutting down over and over again, putting the full unregulated current through the gain transistor. Could get toasty, maybe...

Reply to
bitrex

"Toasty" would be determined only by the load in the "cathode" path. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Comparator is the wrong word. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Investigate your theories...

includes subcircuit library.

So just draw up what you want to test in LTspice and let 'er rip.

Nodes are labeled allowing you to probe the innards. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

          Thinking outside the box... elegant solutions.

Cool. I think I have a TL431 Spice model in my files, but IIRC it is behavioral and "Not-ah so good..."

What's the ratio of the emitter areas of Q4 to Q5 in the chip?

Reply to
bitrex

Measure it yourself :-)

Lots of great die shots on there -- excellent site!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

It depends. It's quite possible to write a behavioral model that duplicates the actual device-level model, but converges easily and simulates faster... I do that all the time ;-)

Learn to read netlists... all NPN's are unity except Q10, which is 5X. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

          Thinking outside the box... elegant solutions.

I just save the plots of the chips I design, easier to see what's going on...

Lousy photo, plus the plastic overlay has yellowed, need to reframe a whole bunch of these as I redo my office and library decor. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

          Thinking outside the box... elegant solutions.

Gee, sure must be nice. . .

But what about the rest of us? And for that matter, how much of that stuff is out of NDA, or copyright? -- Is it ever public? Are you violating anything by posting that..? (Not that there's necessarily anyone left to do so, if it's obsolete.)

Tim