Tip for reading tiny print on components

...and how would the phone being "smart" change any part of your phone usage?

Reply to
krw

I'm 65 and wouldn't give up my smart phone. Some of us old farts can learn new tricks, though like the newer, larger, phones (upgraded to a Note-8 ;).

We spent an hour Sunday Skyping with my son, DIL, and granddaughter, about the same distance (1200mi), on my wife's smart phone. We only see them once a year (and didn't last year) so Skype is goodness. At least our granddaughter knows who we are.

Reply to
krw

I'm close to that 70 mark, and I cant understand the younger generation at all anymore. They use their smartphones an facebook, and say there is no other way to keep in contact with out of town friends and family. Then they complain about all the assholes who make nasty comments about them on facebook.

I ask them why they dont just text their friends / family, or email them. I think everyone of them says "but I want to exchange pictures". What, are they all too stupid to know that they can send pictures by email?

And what really gets me, is that using facebook is a goddamn nightmare compared to sending emails. Not to mention that there is no way in hell that I want total strangers looking at photos of my family, my pets, or even my car. Nor want them reading my personal "letter" to a friend or family member, even if I have nothing intersting to say.

I'd probably try a smartphone, if I could get one that's affordable (which I have not found). But I would not use Facebook, evne if someone paid me to use it. Facebook is absolutely repulsive. The people who run it, disgust me, and there is no way in hell that I want them assholes making one cent by spamming me and selling my identity. I used that piece of shit for about 5 weeks, and regretted every second of it. Removing it was a complete trajedy. I finally found a video showing how to completely remove ALL of it. NEVER AGAIN!

Reply to
oldschool

I don't understand why they're such snowflakes but I completely understand smart phones and facebook, to a degree. I don't use FB. It's the wife's job to keep up with the family. ;-)

It's a lot easier to post pictures in one place for everyone to peruse at their leisure. It's how we get most of our pictures of our granddaughter.

Perhaps you should figure out how FB works before makes such comments?

Define "affordable". You could buy a used one for cheap. IMO, even $1000 every few years is more than "affordable" for what it allows me to do.

Understand completely. I don't use it either but my wife likes to keep up with the family and her friends (not all local). She doesn't use it for anything else.

Reply to
krw

Read my post again. I never said it changes anything. I said that I was reluctant to have *any* /mobile/ phone. The "dumb" part in the last sentence is in brackets to show that it's just an aside to describe the phone I eventually got.

Actually I got the phone as a birthday present from my kids who'd been bugging me to have a mobile phone. It's a basic Nokia model that cost about $150 at a time when Android was just starting to make the scene. It's reliable as hell.

I'm a photography enthusiast and I prefer a standalone camera for taking photos.

Reply to
Pimpom

I'm just old enough that I can leverage a little bit of "Well I'm kind of old fashioned" to my advantage sometimes.

Sometimes you get into social situations where some overly-friendly person is asking you for all your WhatApps and Instadoodles and Facebooks and even though I might use one or two of those I can just shrug and plead ignorance.

And sometimes a young woman who has given her social media blah blah to three younger suitors already that night who eagerly begin text messaging away the next morning (and are easily ignored) tries to do the same thing and I can say "Don't really know much about it, I prefer the telephone."

Reply to
bitrex

Seems like opinion is a bit divided over the Touch, I like my 6th gen a lot, I think the UI is fairly pleasant and it's much snappier and responsive than any Android device I've used in the same price range. The headphone jack also seems to have better sound quality and a hotter output than my Android phone, too.

The biggest downside is the battery life which is very good in standby but not great for watching videos or using the WiFi connection hard

Reply to
bitrex

Well, I'm a bit biased on the matter. I don't like Apple, the company. My problem is that when I was carrying around various iPod Touch and iPhone devices, I kept wanting to do things that I new were possible only if I jailbreak the device. For example, there are no cellular or wi-fi analysis apps that I can use to troubleshoot wireless networks.

Android devices with quad-core CPU's and recent Android versions are quite fast. Bottom of the line Android devices dual-core CPU's with limited RAM (The headphone jack also seems to have better sound quality and a hotter

I wouldn't know. I rarely use the headphone jack, except to plug in an IR transmitter for programming the TV or hi-fi: or with an external mic for running a sound level meter app. However, my customers also tell me that Apple products sound better than Android.

iPod Touch 6th gen has a 1043 ma-hr battery but doesn't last as long as its 5th generation predecessor. 2nd paragraph from the bottom: Yeah, kinda mediocre. My Samsung S6 has a 2550 ma-hr battery, but doesn't last as long as your iPod Touch because I leave the cellular phone section enabled in order to get faster GPS fixes. If turned the phone section off, I can go 2 or 3 days between recharges and with my "normal" use.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

If I really need to carry a computer around, I have a giant Vaio laptop with a lot of batteries inside. It runs all my normal stuff, LT Spice and PADS and Word and such.

But I don't want to be online, or available, 100% of my life. Sometimes I want to be alone in the woods.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I have real cameras too; they just take better pics than phones.

But pay phones are gone, so we really need cell phones to keep in touch, or to find one another in space and time. But 20 minutes a month is enough to do that.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

DOn't need to. You made the distinction. You were railing against smart phones. I asked, why the distinction?

I used to be but cameras are no fun anymore. Cell phone cameras are good enough for any snapshots. ...better than most low-medium priced cameras, in fact.

Reply to
krw

Den fredag den 16. februar 2018 kl. 02.08.56 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

and the picture you take the phone you carry in your pocket is infinitely better than the picture you didn't because you left the camera at home

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Good point.

..and you can keep the entire library of your grandkid's pictures with you to show to anyone who walks by. Frees space in the wallet. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Kids these days, they just don't realize the joys of TECHNOLUDDITE

Try flip phone wo/camera, plus HMX-W300 waterproof HD cam (ultra cheap manuf refurb, must add your own SD card mem.) No temptation to check mail.

And little tiny lens on Swiss Army knife for IC numbers (the older Explorer model knife still has the glass 15mm lens.)

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Waterproof video camera... GoPro Hero 6 or Hero 5 Session.

4K cameras... stablized recording... Wow... I am impressed.
Reply to
Long Hair