tiny ARM processor

I need a really tiny ARM, maybe in a MSOP10 package or something, ideally not a chip-scale thing, which manufacturing and testing hate. I need a basic CPU with flash, a couple of ADC channels, a couple of port bits, and SPI or UART. Looks like I need at least 7 pins, maybe 8 with an external ADC reference.

I need to put 32 of them on a VME module. Who makes stuff like that these days?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I don't think you're going to find an ARM in a PIC package. ;-) The smallest I've seen is a 4x4mm 32-pin QFN.

Reply to
krw

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:59:56 -0500, krw Gave us:

4x4 is pretty friggin small.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

After a quick check on DigiKey it looks like Cypress, NXP, and NXP/ Freescale, which isn't surprising. All the parts there are at least 16- pin, but go down to 3x3mm (except for the DIP-8 one from NXP). They may have smaller parts that DigiKey doesn't list.

I've looked at the datasheets for the Freescale parts, and I remember the peripheral interfaces seeming odd but workable. I've used one of the NXP parts, and it was OK.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sorry, the QFN-32 is a 5x5mm package. There is a 45-ball CSP that's

2.7x3mm, though.
Reply to
krw

Would the NXP LPC800 series work for you?

E.g.LPC822M101JHI33 or LPC824M201JHI33

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

ST seem to have a "QFQFPN20", 3x3mm package, 0.5mm pitch.

e.g. STM32L011F4, STM32L021F4.

Oh, "Evaluation". Well he can try for samples.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Have you looked at the AVR line? It sounds like that is exactly what you want.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

If you want them on a VME module, why do you care about the package they are in? Saying you want 32 ARMs on a VME module is not really enough info to go on. But I doubt you will find that anyway as it is not a very common need, so many different processors on one board which would have very limited I/O compared to the CPU speed.

If you need lots of separate CPUs with limited I/O, perhaps you should look at the GA144?

There are 48 processors just around the periphery.

--

Rick
Reply to

My people here like the ARM tools that they have, so prefer to keep programming ARMs. ARMs scream, too, and we want to digitize a couple of analog inputs and run an algorithm at 50 KHz or so.

The application is to supervise a mosfet switch, pretty much make a smart self-protecting self-testing SSR, with one uP per mosfet. It sounds crazy, but that looks like the smallest and cheapest way to do it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I use something called a Teensy 3.2 based on a K20 ARM processor. The chip is about 40 pins but has an onboard 12-14bit DAC, 14 analog inputs, capacitive sensing, 5v tolerant digital IO, 64K sram and 256K flash and a bunch of other features. Regards, Al

Reply to
alan.yeager.2013

Anything that small is going to be a Cortex M0, and may have limited clock rates compared to the usual chips -- running an algorithm at 50kHz could be doable depending on the algorithm and whatever else you're doing, but it's not a slam-dunk.

The things that end up being "smallest and cheapest" with a processor instead of some "simple analog" solution have been a continual amazement to me since around 1988.

Sometime before I die I expect to see 8-pin dual op-amps that are really just ARM cores with differential ADC inputs and DAC outputs.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

the numerous protected FETs won't do?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, it could do polynomials or PID or cold junction compensation, anything you want. Delta-sigma ADC and DAC could be 20 bit accurate. So, why hasn't anybody done that?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

No, we need self-test and other silly things. Each fet is isolated, so we need a CPU per fet.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The K20 is nice, but looks like overkill for our application. We can probably use a sub-$1 chip with a 10 bit ADC. Looks like the obvious choice is still NXP. ST does have some nice looking ARMs too.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

e.

e 8

if you don't want any of the crazy packages ST has some F0s in lqfp32 (7x7mm) and tssop20 (6.4x6.5mm)

they also have WLCSP25 (2.4*2.4mm), UFQFPN28 (4*4mm)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

ADI tried that with the ARM 7 core some time ago. I think they still sell them, but who would want an ARM 7 now? In general it didn't seem to sell well.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm using one of the ADI ARM chips. I needed two very good ADCs and a good DAC, and I don't trust most of the other vendors to get the ADC right. I could have used a stand-alone ADC and separate ARM chip I suppose, but I don't need much processing power so there is not much incentive to use the latest and greatest ARM core.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

What I would worry about is ADI getting the ARM right. On their ADC and DAC chips, they make horrrible hashes of the digital, SPI parts.