Tiller's "Intention Imprinting" Device?

Can anyone please tell me exactly what this circuit is, in electronic terms, and how it could possibly function as described in the linked report below?

Bill Tiller is a respected scientist, but I can't figure this one out.

Bob Gerber

Reply to
Bob Gerber

Not for long, if that's what he's shilling.

Well, it's like this: some people in the world have money. And some people in the world are exceedingly gullible. And some of the people who are exceedingly gullible have money -- for a while. And if you cook up a good scam, and if you don't care much about your fellow man, then you can be the one that gets the money that those gullible-with-money people have. This converts _them_ into gullible-with-no-money people (which you can tell yourself was going to happen anyway), and _you_ into a successful con artist.

I hope this helps your understanding.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

I respect your opinion, but given that you are an engineer can you please describe to us what this circuit actually is, and what function it performs, at least in conventional terms?

Scroll down to page three to see the ckts.

Thank you,

Bob Gerber

Reply to
Bob Gerber

Bob,

The circuits do nothing.

The circuits are so badly printed ( intentionality ) so no-one _can_ understand it.

Looking at the circuits myself, I see the EEPROMs as stated in the text.

But thats it.....

These circuits do nothing, except get gullible people to pay good money for nothing.

Can you even understand the title of this paper ??

IT A SCAM !!!

have a nice day

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Mr. Gerber, After skimming through the paper and reading parts, here-and-there, I started laughing out loud. The more I read, the funnier it got.

The schematic does absolutely nothing. Neither do the modifications mentioned cause the circuit to do anything. I am not even sure if the LED will light because I cannot read the values of the resistor divider for the opamp. Nor would any "normal" opamp drive 20 mA to light a "normal" LED.

The whole thing is most definitely a scam.

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

I'm no engineer, but I can share a guess.

Short version: Random voltages present on the address and data pins of a Read Only Memory cause random values to be programmed into random locations of that device when it's Write Enable and power pins are toggled by an oscillator module. (If only they would ground the Chip Enable pin.)

The user is asked to believe that the data programmed into the ROM are a direct result of the mental intent of the user during the 'imprinting' process rather than just random 'garbage data' produced by many different kinds of well-understood electrical noise. (Yes, it is a fraud.)

Long version:

1) Starting at the top of the page, we see a conventional battery power / wall wart circuit. When the wall wart is plugged in, it charges the battery and powers the "Intention Imprinting" device. So far, so good.

2) The power switch drives a block that looks like it might be a square wave oscillator (from context).

Then things get very squirrely.

3) Power is routed to a voltage divider that is connected to the inverting input of a single - rail op amp. The non-inverting input of that amplifier is tied to Vdd which means that the LED indicator will blink on when the oscillator finishes each Write command. This is unfortunate for at least three reasons.

A) The circuit operates by forcing one Op-amp input pin above Vdd. All op amps are not guaranteed to work properly under these circumstances. B) There is no current limiting resistor in series with the LED, so it might not operate within it's 'safe area'. C) It is inefficient. You could delete the op-amp and the voltage divider and just connect the cathode of the LED to ground via a resistor. That's cheaper and works better.

4) The output of the 'oscillator' appears to power a Read Only Memory. The Address input pins and the data output pins appear to 'float'. That is, they are not connected to anything at all. This is very close to a cardinal sin because it makes the part very vulnerable to destruction via electro- static discharge and latchup because the voltage to the address and data pins are likely to be above Vdd during each Write cycle.

5) Luckily, the Chip Enable and Output Enable pins of the ROM are also floating, so we needn't worry that the levels on the Data Output pins mean anything at all. They won't.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Psychobabble meets technobabble :)

The bit where they grounded /CE or something and ungrounded addr lines, and the thing stopped working is about where I stopped reading, tried to zoom the circuit for a better look, crap...

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to

:)

The thing reminds me of an idea I had at age 14. A dart / Ouija board.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

This scheme actually WORKS?? Even tho the "schematic" is too damn fuzzy to read and a number of the "equations" are "written" with black rectangles? Perhaps one could use a fuzzier JPEG and get more money??

Reply to
Robert Baer

One DOES NOT need 20MA to light a LED!!! The majority of LEDs i have fiddled with give reasonable light at 1mA

- well within the capabilities of most op amps. Get your facts straight!

Reply to
Robert Baer

1mA

Right, and 20mA Iout opamps are easy to come by, if you really need to light a room.

Reply to
keithw86

It is not a ROM, of course. It is a battery - backed Random Access Memory.

Please substitute 'Random Access Memory' and 'RAM' for each instance of my phrases 'Read Only Memory' and 'ROM'.

We now return you to the circus already in progress.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think you will need to review the schematics again.

An EEPROM device has the letters ROM in it for a reason.

Please check, I'll wait... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PS: Look on page 3

Reply to
hamilton

You are right, of course.

It could easily be Atmel's AT28BV64B

Good catch!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Though Intersil's X28HC64 is more likely because it is shipped without 'byte write' protection enabled.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Looking really close at the schematic, there is a RDY on pin 1.

This is most likely an ancient NMOS device such as the Intel 2864.

CMOS did not need the RDY line any more.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

For 250 smackers one would think they could afford something better than 'junkbox' parts.

As the management at Intel hilariously used to say: "There is no right way to do a wrong thing".

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Because probing into the Unknown must necessarily involve unknowns, the line between revolutionary discovery and crackpot delusion is fuzzy.

Because scientific work requires creativity, and creativity involves the brainstorming of crazy ideas followed by brutal triage testing, for this reason a large proportion of scientists are accustomed to generating crazy ideas. Many researchers even have some odd notions they're saving up for their retirement (when such work finally becomes safe, because the actions of their peers have little power to put a halt to their research.)

Because human beings are good at fooling themselves, and because top scientists with decades of experience are human beings... well...

If Tiller's device turns out to be legit, it will be a scientific revolution on the scale of the invention of fire, or the wheel. Such revolutions are rare. It's longshot betting for a scientist to go looking for the next "wheel/fire" scale of revolutionary breakthrough. That doesn't stop most people though, especially if they've spent their careers working on small, safe, sensible steps forward.

On the other hand, if a scientist involved in crazy research has started selling something, it should set off your SCAM ALARM BELLS. Often such things are not a scam, but often they are. If Tiller is putting out books on his odd research, and has acquired a fan base who all want to replicate his experiments in their garages, then probably it isn't a scam.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

It's serious, and I see that Tiller has been publishing fringe-sci papers for years:

A Gas Discharge Device for Investigating Focused Human Attention

What Are Subtle Energies?

Anomalously Large Body Voltage Surges on Exceptional Subjects

Subtle Domain Connections to the Physical Domain Aspect of Reality

Electronic Device-Mediated pH Changes in Water

Energy, Fitness and Information-Augmented EMFs in Drosophila melanogaster

Nope, it's most definitely Maverick science. I see that Tiller has a WP entry. People there are arguing about whether it should have tags for both "scientist" and "pseudoscientist"

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb a eskimocom

amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-762-3818 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci

Reply to
Bill Beaty

It's a multiplier. It creates a product (the white paper) by multiplying the authors' thoughts times the substance found at the south end of a north bound horse, to create more of the same. Impossible to say precisely how it operates, because, as others have mentioned, the diagram is (intentionaly) unreadable.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr