TI no longer provides tech support.

They just refer you to a forum.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

That is my experience and why I avoid their parts.

I'm sure if you were buying the 100,000 or so parts they might consider some support?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Den torsdag den 15. september 2016 kl. 21.25.56 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

as long as TI have people working on replying in that forum that might not be so bad

you can search a forum for people that have experienced similar issues. Other people that have seen an issue or found fix can chime in

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Welcome to the sharing economy!

Reply to
matt

Grin, the other users may be of more help than the TI support person.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

I've seen this more with siome tryly AWFUL software support people, and had a couple totally amazing conversations with people from Harris and IR.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I might be able to get an answer by running the WEBench application, but it says

forever.

I'll buy something else.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Seems like a GREAT way for them to get the productivity of their employees up, costs down! :-(

Reply to
Don Y

I did the "chat" help, and also emailed our supposed TI sales engineer. Both tell me to go to the forums.

The sales guy included a link to the forums, which doesn't work. I did locate one forum that discusses the part in question, LMK61E2, but my issue isn't there, and I don't see any way to post my question.

TI doesn't want to sell parts any more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Does it generate 156.25 MHz OK?

If you become a member of the forum you can post.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The sales engineers usually don't know squat. Their role is to "shmooze" with customers and "do recon" -- for TI!

You typically have to "register" to be able to speak. Need a way to cut down on the riff-raff... :< Otherwise, you'd get folks posting questions about "how do I change this font to italics in MSWord..."

Most companies just don't want to have to deal with *customers* any more! They'd much rather be dealing with the customers' BANKS!!

Reply to
Don Y

That frequency is just the default that's programmed into the eeprom. We want to program it ourselves, realtime I2C. The question is, what's the frequency resolution? You'd think that would be a pretty basic spec.

I'm already registered with TI. Do I have to separately register for forums?

Why can't they just answer a simple question?

Grrrrr.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den fredag den 16. september 2016 kl. 01.46.44 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

FVCO=FREFxDx[(INT +NUM/DEN)] where ? FVCO : PLL/VCOFrequency(4.6 GHzto 5.6GHz) ? FREF : 50MHzreferenceinput ? D:PLLinput frequency doubler,1=Disabled,2=Enabled ? INT: PLLfeedback dividerinteger value(12bits,1to 4095) ? NUM:PLLfeedback dividerfractional numeratorvalue( 22bits,0to 4194

303) ? DEN:PLLfeedback dividerfractional denominatorvalue( 22bits,1to 41 94303) (1) The output frequency is related to the VCO frequency as given in Equation2. FOUT=FVCO/OUTDIV where ? OUTDIV: Output divider value(9bits,5to 511)

doesn't tell you everything?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I've been pretty impressed with Analog's support forum, revolting website notwithstanding. If the TI forum allows access to reasonably well-informed employees, which Analog's does, then I'm all for it. I can't think of a better way for an IC vendor to provide support to the bulk of their customer base.

The LMK61E2 is pretty nice. At offsets > 100 Hz it beats its competitors like a rented mule:

Too bad it's so hard to phase lock.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

The phase noise is impressive. And it's cheaper than the Si570.

Impossible, looks like.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Locking it digitally via its fine-tuning registers should work pretty well, since the crossover frequency would be low. The tuning range is comparable to the frequency tolerance spec, though, so there's not much margin. Not sure if its PLL register updates are phase-continuous but the fine tuning apparently is.

Probably the best way to discipline it is to use the external reference to measure its actual frequency and move everything else accordingly.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

TI has a full-time analog FAE and sales engineer assigned to us (along with a digital/CPU guy half time). All really good guys. ...and they take us out to lunch regularly. ;-)

Their support is great but they are in business to make money.

Reply to
krw

That would involve a phase detector with I2C output. Yuk! The I2C clock is 400 KHz max, and you'd have to ship some (?) large number of bits every packet. It might not even be possible to lock.

We'd do that to tune its frequency, to overcome the +-50 PPM accuracy. I don't know if it would actually phase lock to a reference, while being whacked with I2C traffic.

The Si571 has a VCO input, but it's tragically expensive.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Too much! That's a numerical nightmare.

It's not as if I'm evaluating a single part, either.

lunatic fringe electronics

Since Eternal September, that's the least of the problems :(

If the cost of posting doesn't involve requiring human involvement, then you'll end up with green card spam, adverts for removal companies and inflation products, and nitwits promoting political causes and name calling.

While that can be tolerated on a forum without an owner, on a company owned/run forum then Generation Snowflake would have the lawyers rubbing their hands with glee.

No, you have to accept registration; all that really matters is whether you get useful information.

Reply to
Tom Gardner