Thyrsistor size.

I was thinking, maybe my next project could use a set of these

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Do they come in 0201? Board space, you know.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was going to make an inquiry!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

You can get them in 0201, but the delivery time is about a century.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The state of the art 20 years ago was :- withstand 1000V or conduct 1000A. About 5 inches diameter and an inch thick. Each made up of lots of very small thyristors so that a small gate pulse can get them going. The top thyristor in the stack might be 160KV above ground so you have to steal a small amount of energy from somewhere. Watching these things running is a real buz.

I cut my teeth on these a long long time ago (but in this galaxy)

Colin.

Reply to
colin_toogood

These are stacks of them, so can be as big as you want. OTOH the size of a single cell is probably decent too... :-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

lol, looking at that picture, it was taken during mainenance shutdown,

I wonder if it is safe to be in that room when it is energized,,,

if not, I'd like to see the interlocks they must have on the doors...

Whoops, I was just looking for the mens room.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

The Russians have this interesting Soviet-era facility. It's only used rarely these days apparently.

150nF doesn't sound like much, but it's good for something like 9MV, which would be 6MJ energy stored -- significant.

Here it is in Google maps - in Istra, which is not far (1.5-2.5 hours) from Moscow:

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The best interlock I know of has been discovered by Mr. Darwin. No further chance of spreading the genes.

OTOH, monkeys ARE a serious problem in the generator halls in some places of the world. At least one of the ABB generators I know of induced their rapid vaporisation...

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski