Thruth revealed about ham radio

I just want to know if this guy is still alive!

And I sure some others here will just agree with it :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Most can't spell and think that they know electronics, like KA1LPA.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why not look him up? His call sign is K1OIK

Reply to
ED

"Jamie" = Maynard A. Philbrook = KALPA

** What a really cool dude !!!!

And how about that 8yo girl with a full ham licence !!!!

Only one gripe though: re the " Public Service" aspect of ham radio.

During a natural disaster ( fire, flood, hurricane, alien invasion etc ) - phones, mobile phones and internet access are likely to disappear.

But a radio ham with a small gene (or even a VHF battery portable working through a big Yagi) can keep on going.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"ED" <

** Do that here:

You will finds links to another U-Tube video and some recent pics of him and his ( no longer 8yo) daughter on a radio ham's holiday.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Also true of CB radio and even those cheap walkie talkies. I haven't checked recently, but maybe the moron factor in CB has died down a bit. They've all moved to Usenet.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Jan 2011 04:36:19 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

CB is OK for DX, the higher channels.

15 years ago we had local packet radio 1200 Bd baycom modem etc), and local BBSes here. Nothing packet wise these days, most channels are empty in the evening. Bit local conversation, the occasional idiot interfering too. The sunspot activity has been low, not much DX in the evening here, the MUF
is about 20 MHz now for my area, so forget about DX most of the time. All that said, I use CB regularly. Not so long ago I was talking to S America on CB.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Many years ago, I was in a Ham club, and they referred to CBers as "c*ck- biters."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Jamie wrote in news:Jx50p.3118$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.iad:

I've been a ham radio operator since I was 11 (1957). You'll never meet a more opinionated group of misfits, even worse than Usenet or other internet forums/chatrooms, than hams. They used to get this megalomania of "I'm better than you are" because they had passed some stupid Morse Code test at 13 or 20 wpm and fought long and hard to keep the Morse Code test through their chief Megalomaniac club, the ARRL, to maintain this false sense of supremacy in their isolated, miserable lives. But, alas, the FCC had finally had enough of this nonsense and deleted the Morse testing and requirements, about 40 years too late to save ham radio from the internet. These paranoids are now terrified of "CBers", common people who had CB radios back in the 1960's, taking over ham radio because the tests have become so simple to memorize the real answers and pass the tests....making their perceived supremacy vaporize before their eyes.

This idiot is an excellent example of the "I'm better than you" ham. He gives us all a bad name with his nose stuck in the air and his arrogance. There are thousands just like him who aren't smart enough to post video to YouTube. One only needs to browser rec.radio.amateur newsgroups, especially rec.radio.amateur.policy to find them en masse.

If you browse arrl.org, the national organization, you'll find ham arrogance taken to a new level. We're easy to spot in an emergency at your local emergency management agency. We're the arrogant bastards with the radio club jackets, badges and look of self-importance now relegated to ancient history by the cellphone in the director's pocket, the hams merely being tolerated until they get too much in the way of the mission. We do serve if things are really bad as all we need is a wire antenna, a battery or genset and our HF radios under a shelter of some kind when the "systems" go dead, mostly from stupidly placed emergency bureaucracies and 911 cop systems built in vulnerable places in palatial glass palaces a hurricane laughs at.

Please understand these hams have no other life and are captives in their shells. If one lives next door, my condolences to you. Move. However, most hams aren't like him. His kind just make it miserable for the rest of us. Most hams would give you the shirt off their backs if you were in trouble. I have. A group of hams worked for nearly a year building out a suitable fire alarm system aboard USS Yorktown (CV-10) museum so the Fire Marshall would let the boy and girl scouts sleep aboard the carrier again. We have a ham radio station aboard for decades.

His "truth" is his own. Like any curmudgeon, he feels left out from his own aging body and incompetence. Ham radio is dying of old age. The internet killed it. Attend any ham radio convention and you'll find the average age of attendees is about 60, now, the Baby Boomers like me the last large group before the internet invaded homes worldwide. The magic is gone. Any fool with a laptop can chat with Siberia, 24/7....

I marked this OT as it's way off topic.

Can you engineers solder?....(c;]

Fred

Whereas you're full of compassion and understanding for him, right?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

Bwahahahahahaha!

I didn't know Larkin had a Weller Gun ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"ED" wrote in news:ihqpdg$hob$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

K1OIK

BURTON E FISHER

163 Cotuit Road

Sandwich, MA 02563

USA

Look up any ham from his callsign on

No FCC licensee can hide, no matter what their license is for.

He just moved from 389 Old Bass River Rd, South Dennis, 02660 in 9/22/09 according to his FCC records. Probably one of his neighbors had had enough of him....(c;]

He holds the head swirling Amateur Extra, highest class license, another idiotic FCC idea from the 1960's that makes their heads swell to gigantic proportions. ARRL was behind it all trying to make some hams "better" than other hams from that Morse code speed nonsense in a single sideband world. The ham radio caste system exacerbated the "I'm better than you" psychotic problem, even between hams, themselves, giving the "better" more choice frequencies than just "ordinary" hams crushed into smaller bandwidths.

We killed our own hobby with this nonsense. Ask any kid who persisted how those old farts hated him.

Reply to
Fred

10-4 rubber duck
--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

You really need to lobby for an updated test. Scrap the Morse - yes. Replace it with UTF-8 binary!

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

"Phil Allison" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

That's still true in the 3rd world, I suppose, but not here.....

I'm a ham since 1957. I stood, at midnight, in the EYE of Hurricane Hugo in Summerville, SC (Charleston), talking on my Motorola AMPS bagphone over Cellular One's analog cellphone system to relatives worried sick over us, describing how beautiful the stars were after the hurricane blew the neighborhood away....before it blew the neighborhood the OTHER way on its way out. That cellphone system only had 832 channels for the city to use. I had to dial about 4 times to get a channel and didn't stay on it over 2 minutes so others could call their families. Now there's lots more channels on digital, making ham radio even more unnecessary as there are many redundant systems on huge base towers with serious emergency power. Our system only had 6 towers for the whole city in 1989. All the towers stayed up and are still in use today....much unlike the tiny towers being newly installed. I was amazed it even found a signal as all the power lines across the city laid in the street, putting us in total blackout for 5 months. I now have 3 gensets and vow to NEVER BE IN THE DARK AGAIN....

Reply to
Fred

Fred expounded in news:Xns9E7A9FF26C0E0nobodyhomecom@74.209.131.13:

You sometimes see some funny things at "hamfests" (ham radio fleamarkets).

I once saw two old-timers arguing almost to the point of a fist fight - over a two dollar item.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Rich Grise wrote in news:ihsibq$7tj$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

"c*ck-

Validating my long message about megalomania in ham radio, completely.

New ham clubs all came from CB, so aren't such name-calling idiots.

Any old CBers reading this? I used to build Heathkits/Knightkits in the late 50's right after CB's inception. Calls in NY began with 20W. I lied about my age and got one. My mother was terrified I was going to be drafted into the Army at 12....(c;]

Wonder if I can still assemble and tuneup one of those big black Heathkit

4-transistor regenerative CB walkies with the big knob on the front over the speaker/mic grill without the instructions in an hour.....??
I built hundreds of both the walkie and CB-1 as a kid. I had more fun with that walkie that only talked 3 blocks than all the gear I've owned since. NOONE sleeps near a regen receiver with no signal!

Call us on Channel 11, the only channel anyone had crystals for! Worked 6W3202 on Klingman's Dome in the Smoky Mountain National Park, TN from Moravia, NY with that CB-1 on Channel 11 with a vertical wire dipole suspended between two 2x4 boards nailed to the side of a pine tree up

70' with 2 watts, about all the RF power it would produce. I still have the park ranger's QSL card! It wasn't illegal....yet!
Reply to
Fred

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in news:8qe4imFkgkU3 @mid.individual.net:

During the 20 year argument period over Morse testing, and being one of the early digital stations on HF, first in the 4th call district to legally transmit ASCII the instant it became legal on 14.105 Mhz, still used by packet radio, today, I lobbied hard to replace the Morse test with a TYPING TEST because the new digital operators, and most all of the old mechanical teletype operators on Baudot, could all type about 5 wpm with 10% errors.

Operating digital modes, even today, is excruciatingly painful because the guy you're high speed data link is connected to STILL CAN'T TOUCH TYPE! (Happiness was typing on a Teletype model 28 full speed at 74 baud. You press the key and WAIT for the machine to catch up with you.)

We boys took typing class in the high school in 1962, just to be with the cutest girls our mating instincts had fantasies over. Little did we know it was the most useful class I ever took in 12 years of elementary, middle and high school. It still serves me typing this message around

120wpm. Anyone who could type on our schools Remington manual typewriters could ZOOM on a keyboard....(c;]

asdfjkl; asdfjkl; asdfjkl;....isn't Mary Ann beautiful in that skirt?

Ham radio modes make it painfully obvious if you can't type because they, unlike chatrooms or usenet, are in realtime....hee hee.

Reply to
Fred

Warren wrote in news:Xns9E7AA44E75AB2WarrensBlatherings@81.169.183.62:

"TWO DOLLARS?!! You want TWO DOLLARS for that used 6SN7 with a broken socket key?! Are you kidding?!! I'll give you 25 cents, tops, my final offer!"

"Geez, you can hardly read the tube number on it it has so many hours on it!"

Warren, I'll tell you another great place with bargaining like this.....

....The Souk, the central open market of Bahrain, the little island kingdom in the Arabian Gulf. All the prices are at LEAST double what they really expect you to be hoodwinked into paying. American hams at a hamfest are really AMATEURS, compared to a good Arab bargaining with a shop keeper in the Souk.

Been there, done that, great fun! He starts calling you names in Arabic, because he thinks you can't speak his language. The look on his face when you return his Arabic with yours is PRICELESS!....(c;]

Reply to
Fred
[snip]

Yep. Wish I could type like that. I'm a 2-3 finger "typist".

On the other hand my son, the programmer, types at the speed of light. Not quite sure where he learned to type. Maybe in elementary school (Camelback Desert, private, had PC's and programming at day one), certainly didn't take typing in high school (public). ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature