Throw Awy Your Soldering Iron

That has about 1 chance in 30,000 of being practical. I'll keep my Metcal.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

again? :)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

I'd say less than that, but after that stupid euro move RoHS got adopted any stupid horseshit coming down the pike is possible.

It would likely never survive a shake test. So 1M to one odds in my book.

Very likely an overall slower manufacturing process as well. And the changeover costs... never happen. RoHS was bad enough.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They can have my iron when they pry it out of my cold dead hands !

Remembering the old cowboy song.... "With a BIG iron on his hip"

boB

Reply to
boB

Yeah, I'd rather de-solder a component rather than to pry it off to replace it.

Reply to
John S

snip

That was Big John, not biG boB.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Just once in my life, I dropped a hot iron and caught it mid-air. Now I jump clear.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Once you are past prototype stage, it is very uncommon to need to remove parts. 99.9% of boards in high volume production just work. I was told that when they make cell phones if they don't work they are tossed anyway. If they can save $0.50 per board they will jump at it. That is millions of dollars to them.

--

Rick
Reply to

It only works on flat surfaces under lab conditions, and it requires way-expensive metals. I'm not going to hold my breath.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Me too !

Reply to
boB

My event was, while staring into a board wearing magnifiers, I just reached to my right blindly, and grabbed the wrong end :-(

One time only event :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You're supposed to catch it by the cool end.

Mine is suspended from the ceiling with a length of elastic string. That keeps the cable out of the way and if I drop it, it won't reach the floor.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

I am not holding my breath, but the write up claimed less expensive so maybe only tiny amounts of expensive metal are needed.

Where did you see anything about needing lab conditions and flat surfaces?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I was quick enough to jump back, the first time.

Reply to
krw

Aren't printed circuits flat surfaces? I think pretty much every technology started in the lab. Holding your breach is seldom good, especially when you are trying to accomplish something (never when scuba diving).

--

Rick
Reply to

The article did say they only have it working in the lab at the moment. Not sure what that means, but I expect it means you need more fancy equipment than a soldering iron. "At this point MesoGlue can only be applied in a laboratory".

--

Rick
Reply to