Through-hole assembly movie clip

Anyone know what they're assembling at time index 1:50 here?

Look at all those DIPs!

Reply to
bitrex

At 0:10 min it's SMT :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yum. Sometimes when I watch videos of factories/assembly lines I think to myself "Wow, so this means there's probably a group of folks somewhere who wake up in the morning and have a team meeting and say 'Okay Steve, so how's the design for the raspberry goop injector project coming along?'"

On I-93 going into Boston there's a huge machine which has the sole purpose of rolling down the highway at about 15mph each rush hour and shifting the jersey barriers back and forth to make either an extra lane for the northbound or southbound side of traffic.

So somewhere there was a team of guys who woke up every morning and told each other "Look, we gotta finish this...whatever it is...on schedule. Let's make it the best whatever it is we've ever made!"

Reply to
bitrex

Lasse Langwadt Christensen
[snip]

Nice! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Employees are expensive. FICA, unemployment taxes, health insurance, vacations, sick leave, unions, lawsuits, parental leave, disability, on and on.

Machines are cheap, depreciable, reliable, don't pitch fits, don't retire on disability, and won't quit or steal your trade secrets.

lunatic fringe electronics

Good solution for SoCal, but I'm betting ice or heavy snow screws that thing up real good.

Reply to
bitrex

Late 70s computer

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Looks like it could fit into an S-100 bus, maybe?

Reply to
bitrex

I wonder how many times the cones can get run over before the machine can't pick them up anymore.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps, though ISTR S-100 was a bit smaller than that board.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ect

ane

old

.

My guess is one gets the employees one deserves. If you treat your people well they will reward you, if you screw them then you are likewise screwed. With corporate US senior management gouging their employees and stockholders to take home 100 to 1000 times (or more) the base salary of their employees then one might understand why they have trouble with their staff.

Also machines do not care about the job and they will never figure out a

way to do a job better or give you ideas that you can turn into a better

business process or product.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Mini computer most likely. Main frames had far more custom chips on them.

The film has video games that came out in 1979 and 1980 - Stargate and Robotron. Many of the cars and trucks look to be mid to late 70s.

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

something with lots of socketed wide DIPs and relatively few narrow DIPS, so not much RAM (?) Arcade game board perhaps?

Jasen Betts

That belief was the centrepiece of Bill-and-Dave's ethos. It worked very well for them, their employees and their customers.

Fiorina deliberately and explicitly dismantled the HP Way, and consigned it to history.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah, that definitely seems like a possibility. Early arcade game or slot machine or something.

Reply to
bitrex

No arcade game board that I've ever seen, and I've seen almost all of the 70s and most 80s boards. Way too many I/O or whatever those 40 pin sockets will hold. Taito's three board 6809 (02?) series (Qix, and others) had the most and that topped out around 6 or so 6821s as I recall. By the late 70s there was 16 to 48K of RAM on CPU based games. Galaga had three Z80s and a bunch of RAM, but it was on two smaller boards that folded with a ribbon connector so the board could fit in a cocktail table as well as a cabaret or even a full size cabinet.

Nah, that is some computer board, likely a mini, look at the card edge connector - it has what appear to be very long plated connections.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

One might argue that what consigned HP to history was that by the early

2000s, they simply didn't have a product anyone was eager to buy. They'd spun off the test equipment division into Agilent, and seemingly bought Compaq and Palm in an attempt to compete at the low-end of an increasingly crowded and "me too!" field of PCs and tablets. Even at that point their consumer electronics offerings were little distinguishable from all the other low end crapbooks and iDevices available on the market.

Yeah, they did and do make some okay printers. So what? Lots of people make okay printers.

Reply to
bitrex

I meant Fiorina explicitly consigned the HP Way to history.

As with any company, many things contribute to making it great, and many to dragging it down. Fiorina was pretty disastrous, but she was as much a symptom as a cause.

I suspect our children will say something similar about Trump and the USA.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Fiorina likely could've done little to revert the path of HP's non-innovative attempts to merger and acquisition itself into shareholder profitability going on in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Trying to compete in the low-end laptop market at that time when it was what everyone else was jumping into was a bonehead move, but HP was headed that way well before she showed up.

You could argue that both companies and countries get the presidents they deserve.

Reply to
bitrex