Those $9 per hour engineers are turning out to be very costly

"It remains the mystery at the heart of Boeing Co.?s 737 Max crisis: how a company renowned for meticulous design made seemingly basic software mistakes leading to a pair of deadly crashes."

and then like 10 paragraphs down:

"Boeing said the company did not rely on engineers from HCL and Cyient for the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, which has been linked to the Lion Air crash last October and the Ethiopian Airlines disaster in March."

mystery solved I guess, these were in-house dickheaded decisions made by white male US-based engineers, most likely.

"The Max software -- plagued by issues that could keep the planes grounded months longer after U.S. regulators this week revealed a new flaw -- was developed at a time Boeing was laying off experienced engineers and pressing suppliers to cut costs."

they act like a corporation laying employees off and trying their hardest to cut costs is something unusual to do for a for-profit corporation. When are for-profit corporations _not_ laying people off and trying to cut costs? as if cost-cutting effort only happens at special times like Christmas. bloomberp is bernie sanders now I guess

Of course everyone involved on the US side would like to blame the filthy shithole countries for SOMETHING surely but it don't look like it happening, this time. hundreds of people dead, engineers bitchin' "but what about us? we were laid off! we're the _real_ victims here" sounds typical lol

Reply to
bitrex

The point that resonates with me in the article is that by outsourcing SW t he inside team manages I\O documents but there is no inside team left to re ally design and evolve and adjust the SW in an environment of debate and di scussion. This environment of the brightest people in your org constantly c hallenging one another is what i think gets lost and by the sound of the ar ticle BA management was clear they did not want that type of engineer aroun d

Reply to
bulegoge

Isn't the 'quality' system (like ISO-9000) supposed to document each step taken ? Just dig through the documentation to find out who is the culprit.

The quality system may actually improve quality when you can't say 'it wasn't me' and thus you have to be more careful with your work.

Reply to
upsidedown

I'm trying to remember the chortler about ISO-9000, something like "our processes are all screwed to hell, but the screweyness is well- documented" or something like that.

Reply to
bitrex

There is a IEC standard, IEC62304 for software developemnt. It's based on Risk Managemnt.

Martin Riddle

There is also a set of pragmatic, boots-on-the-ground standards for mission-critical code with C or C++:

I don't know what language or languages Boeing uses for its flight control software, I know a lot of aerospace stuff is written in C and C++, even mission-critical code, same as anything else. I don't think it's all done in Ada or JOVIAL, anymore

Reply to
bitrex