This is my first post here and my background is ME so go easy on me please. I need to amplify an analog signal that is 0-5V (w/respect to ground) to be 0-24V (two wires out, not referenced to ground) to drive a solenoid coil. The problem is my power suppl

This is my first post here and my background is ME so go easy on me please. I need to amplify an analog signal that is 0-5V (w/respect to ground) to be 0-24V (two wires out, not referenced to ground) to drive a solenoid coil. The problem is my power supply is + and - 12V. I have two ideas about how to do this:...

Reply to
Gu Souza

After that long subject, I was expecting more content.

Reply to
Richard Henry

(holding sealed envelope to forhead...)

"I see an optocoupler and darlington transistor in your future..."

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

This might work.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

My Genie opened the envelope and 5V (reed?) relay (sample) dropped on the floor.

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

what is ME (master in electronics ?) Weird question for a master in electronics...:)

Assuming you need an analogic drive (so your solenoid acts proportional as a gas/liquid ventil or something similar) then you need a simple power amplifier.

+12V -(-12V) = 24V so you need a B (or AB) class amplifier. The solenoid must run AC coupled in situation described above, so I guess it must be a smart one. If you want two movement directions for the solenoid core, then you need a DC coupled and +24V and -24V supply with separate ground or a H bridge and +12V/-12V. The solenoid will be connected between amplifier output and the ground or between H bridge outputs.

If you need a digital drive (on or off) then you need a simple level converter from 0V to +12V (that's a NPN followed by a PNP) and solenoid will be mounted between PNP collector an -12V)

First you need to find exactly what do you want and then ask a complete and detailed question as someone mentioned.

greetings, Vasile

Reply to
vasile

"vasile"

" ... my background is ME so go easy on me... "

** ME = Mechanical Engineering.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Or "Manufacturing Engineer".