Thermal fax paper for toner transfer

The problem with using glossy paper for toner transfer to PCBs is that of getting the paper off again, requiring lots of soaking and scrubbing. Some time ago, I used a plain sticker paper whose surface coating somehow looked as if it was not tightly bound to the paper. It worked beautifully, needing only a minimal amount of soaking and scrubbing. But I haven't been able to get that particular medium again.

Today I had the idea of using thermal paper, the kind that comes in a roll for use in fax machines. I use an HP LJ1020 and had a problem with the paper jamming inside after the pattern had been deposited. I fished it out and tried it anyway. It transferred very well and the paper came off nicely with just a few seconds of soaking and mild rubbing with my thumb. The heat-sensitive coating blackened from the heat, but didn't transfer to the board, so that's no problem.

I overdid the heat and pressure and smeared the pattern but it looks promising. Backing it up with another medium may solve the jamming problem and other printer models may not have the problem. I had time for only one attempt before I had to give my attention to other things. I intend to try again, but thought I'd share it here now in case some of you want to experiment with this method.

Reply to
pimpom