There is no picture tube / Ugly tv set

I bought one of these new flat tv sets. I was not to happy with the looks of any of them because I wanted one with a nice looking wooden console cabinet like my old tv that we bought in the 1960s, but we were told that they dont make them that way anymore. They are all ugly black plastic things. But our old set finally died and could not be repaired anymore so we bought this flat tv for around $300. I made sure it was the same screen size as our old set so I could mount it in the old cabinet to cover up the ugly black plastic case. The salesman kept telling me it was a HD tv, and that is supposed to be better. I told him that I could care less about his HD or HW or HF or whatever fancy sales pitch talk was about, I wanted a REAL television in a real wooden cabinet. But after we got rid of this salesman and his fancy double talk bullshit, my wife said we should just buy one that looks nice. I told her none of them look nice, but I agreed to buy the one we did to make her happy.

When we got it home, the first thing I did was take out the screws to look inside and see what kind of tubes it uses and if it looked like it was well made. I got it open, and as soon as I looked inside I found there is no picture tube, and no tubes of any kind. I know that some of these new sets use transistors and dont have as many tubes as the older sets, but no picture tube is not acceptable.

I'm not even going to plug it in. It's going right back to the store tomorrow. This is not a tv, it's a joke. All tvs have picture tubes. This must be defective or else it's a radio. Either way, it's back in the box and is leaving here tomorrow. Who do they think they are kidding with this junk, and $300 is way too much. We only paid one hundred and something for our old set back in 1961 or 62, and now they want almost three times as much for this ugly cabinet thing with no goddamn picture tube.

The garbage they sell these days........ What ever happened to the good old days when tvs looked like tvs and had real tubes in them, and quality cabinets? It's a shame how things have gotten. As soon as we get our money back, I'm going to the Salvation Army to find me a decent tv with a real wooden cabinet and a picture tube. It's no wonder our society is falling apart when they dont even make real tv sets anymore.

Jerry Atrick

Reply to
JerryAtrick

On 16/12/2012 11:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@Mount.Carmel.home.com wrote: D

Mind, you, I cracked open one of those tubes once, to see what I'd actually bought. And do you know what was inside? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Talk about a rip-off.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

OK, how can you explain why those old TV sets were so heavy, when there was nothing inside?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Wasn't everything in the '60s heavy, man?

Reply to
krw

They had the big V8 motors in 'em.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Dark matter...

Reply to
Ralph Barone

All the lead in the solder, you dipstick :)

Reply to
TTman

I think it was all those electrons stored in the back of the CRT. My uncle Sheldon used to pull dead picture tubes from TV sets and send them out to a shop that broke off the neck of the CRT and replaced it with one full of fresh electrons.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's because in them thar days it was still all old-growth electrons, not them flimsy ones they sell nowadays.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

To prevent the flyback from flying away?

The old console TV's sometimes included ballast. The heavy picture tube made it top heavy thus requiring added weight in the base to prevent toppling. In the distant past, I saw at least one TV that actually did include what appeared to be ballast.

When customers can't decide between two products, they usually select the heaviest on the assumption that they're getting more for their money. I designed in a steel weight in one light weight marine SSB radio for that reason. The buyers were expecting a literal boat anchor and we had to oblige them.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Digging all the stuff out of the tube so that they could rip me off by selling me nothing requires a lot of work. Work = energy = mass. It appears at least some of it was left inside of the TV cabinet, though not inside the tube, 'cos, as I said, there was nothing in there.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

When we first did this

the enclosure was aluminum. If you pushed a button, the box would slide across the bench. It's all steel now, much more stable.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The HD analog sets are really heavy in the front.. they could do with a bit of ballast, but I guess they were too heavy as it is.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It wasn't my brother in there, he ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

Once I convinced a client to switch from an aluminum frame to steel. A bit reluctantly they did. That made them pass EMC plus the cost went down a bit so no more grudges. One day a sales guy came running in. "Dudes, you won't believe this". A hospital worked had crashed one of these ultrasound machines into a wall. Again. But this time the machine won.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

shop

Bullshit. An electric hotwire cutter was used to remove the old electron gun. You need to preserve as much of the neck glass as possible or spend time replacing the glass and risking alignigmnet problems with the yoke. The hot wire coutter lets the air back in slowly or you would blow the phosphor off the faceplate. The new electrong gun had to be properly aligned & welded to the neck, and the CT pumped back down with a Vacuum pump, followed by a diffusion pump.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Did you ever see one of the 8' wide Zenith color combos with a solid slate top? They were labeled that it wasn't safe to load or unload with less than seven people, or a forklift if it was still on the pallet.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gasoline powered?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ummm... according to the specs, for a box 8" x 12" x 4.5", 8 lbs seems a bit high without adding ballast. Grinding the numbers, I get a surface area of about 0.22 sq-ft. There are probably some internal structures making the area about 0.30 sq-ft (my guess). #16 gauge steel weighs 2.5 lbs/sq-ft, while aluminum weights 0.717 lbs/sq-ft. Therefore the respective case weights would be 0.75 lbs and 0.22 lbs for a net savings of 0.53 lbs. That's not a huge difference in weight. Do you have some depleted uranium slugs hidden inside somewhere to make up the difference?

I had a similar problem with an underweight remote control head, and a rather fat interconnecting cable the size and stiffness of a garden hose. I replaced the tiny rubber feet with suction cups or interlocking plastic fasteners (name forgotten), which placated some of the customers. For the others, I added a removable metal base plate, bag of assorted screws, and an optional tube of contact cement. Somewhat later, the fat parallel control cable was replaced by a UART serializer/deserializer, which substantially reduced the control cable size. However, the customers liked the suction cups, snaps, and mounting plate, so they remained. The contact cement was dropped.

On the radio where I had to add a steel slug to add "heft", marketing asked me to see what could be done to make the radio heavier. In my warped mind, that meant how heavy could I make the radio. I happen to have some 2x4x10 lead bricks weighing 30 lbs each. I had to cut them into smaller pieces on a band saw, but managed to find room for about

35 lbs of lead inside the radio. The aluminum and plastic case had to be reinforced with steel angle to keep it from collapsing under its own weight. It was fun watching the marketing people try to lift the radio. Unfortunately, my plot nearly backfired when they declared that the new increased weight was acceptable. That's when I explained that lead was rather expensive and that cast iron would probably have to suffice. The final blow was when the added cost of shipping was calculated. I had to settle for adding only about 9 lbs to the radio weight. One of our competitors did the same thing, which almost started a weight war.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You ain't seen nuttin yet: "Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says"

How else would you expect Obamacare to service about 25 million new recipients that have never contributed a dime to the system?

I was a landlord until I sold out a few years ago. Your perspective might change if you spent some time on the other side of the equation.