The unwritten laws and rules of Electronics

Sure. She turns it over first.

Reply to
krw

Join the club.

The nearest is "boondocking", but that implies a deliberate act and/or the wink is either still on the mat or can be found on the floor.

Even if you found such an errant critter, how would you know it was the same critter that had just escaped? Or that it hadn't been infected by ESD?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I have now been thoroughly corrected. Thanks for the explanation.

Reply to
John S

Once it's lost, it's out of the game. I just pop a fresh one off the strip and try again.

On Friday, I chased yet another apparent parasitic oscillation on my circuit. After some microscopic inspection, the problem turned out to be an airlaunched resistor that landed on the board and partially shorted my output. Amazingly, it made a good connection but didn't blow anything out.

lunatic fringe electronics

Right. Either of the other options would have created less uncertainty.

Reply to
krw

The effect is real. I think it's because I usually press on a small part with my finger. It sticks, so then I lift it up and release it maybe 6" off the deck. It tends to maintain its orientation.

Picking it up with tweezers, and dropping it, is similar. One has to deliberately invert it and carefully put it down to get a reliable flip. Or maybe drop it from some great height, which has its own issues.

I got a vacuum tweezer thing but never use it. It's not useful for flipping parts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den mandag den 4. december 2017 kl. 19.41.44 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

put the parts on a piece of paper and tap the paper

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's interesting; maybe some calibrated tap. Enough to flip but not launch them into orbit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Because the leads are offset far from the centre of mass, chips are much more likely to land upside down. If you picture the solid angle (i.e. area on the unit sphere) of orientations in which the part will tip over the right way vs the wrong way, it's pretty small, actually--probably only 1 or 2 steradians vs 4 pi for the whole sphere.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

(Thinking mostly of SOT23s and SC70s, which I've been dealing with a lot lately.)

PH

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den mandag den 4. december 2017 kl. 20.08.23 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I have more trouble with resistors. Caps, being unmarked, don't matter how they are oriented.

Things like SOT23's are easy to flip over.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, some of the ICs, especially, have a tendency to land upside down. The leads lift the body off the surface when "right side up", so they prefer to be at a lower energy state, with the leads up in the air.

Passives also may have bumps on the top metallization, but are made to be quite planar on the bottom, so they may do the same, but to a lesser extent.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

When you slam your knees together quickly to catch something tiny rolling off the bench, it will turn out to be a ball of molten solder and you'll be wearing shorts.

--
Boris
Reply to

I once caught a soldering iron in mid-air. Only once.

lunatic fringe electronics

When you have 50% chance of guessing something correctly, you have 90% chance of getting it wrong.

Communication signals are always labelled "Rx" and "Tx" with no indication if this is from the viewpoint of the board, or the thing connecting to the board.

Reply to
David Brown

The Universal Serial Bus isn't very.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If it smells like chicken, you're holding it wrongly.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

John Larkin lives in a different universe.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've solved that problem, for good, by using a consistent naming convention for all signals of the form: owner_function_type. A serial bus would have a name like UC_Debug_Async, with nets UC_Debug_RxD and UC_Debug_TxD. Since the bus is "Owned" by the UC, the directions are with respect to the microcontroller.

Reply to
krw