The Return of Popular Electronics Magazine

Title says it all, they are after funding to do it:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** BTW:

Other groups in the USA are asking for contributions towards the re-manufacture of T-model Fords, DC3 aircraft, Beta video recorders and 8 track cartridge players.

I doubt if any but the DC3 wil ever get off the ground ......

PS I smell a scam.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They're still sort-of manufacturing DC-3s by taking old airframes, gutting them and rebuilding them with modern turboprop engines. The COG shifts quite a bit and there are other issues. There's a ..long.. waiting list last time I looked.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I always liked Radio Electronics better. They usually had more projects!

--
-Scott
Reply to

I smell scam too. I'm not a publisher; never worked for one,; never been associated with one, but it surely seems like $40K is just a smattering of the cost to get a publication up and running. Especially a paper magazine, considering postage, printing, advertising, etc., even if it is published only bi-monthly. I'll gladly subscribe when and if it proves to be a legitimate and GOOD magazine, but for now, I'll remain skeptical. Popular Electronics was one of the classic magazines of its age. Electronics Magazine and Radio-Electronics were the others.

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

The basic cost to print say 10k of a std a4 x 32 pages local mag in colour is about 5k , so how many will the expect to publish first run ?

--
Reply to
atec77

For any business today, $40K is a drop in the ocean. If they can't raise that from their own resources, then they are already doomed.

AND: I believe any magazine today must also be a PDF on-liner like CC INK. $19USD a year, with world wide possibilities, and no shipping of custom problems, and those silly extra import costs. Locals don't even have to pay VAT, GST, or state sales taxes. You just download a PDF. How simple is that? 19 Bucks!

I suggested this to Silicon Chip Magazine Australia, when CC INK did it years ago, but it was never taken up. I felt world wide distribution at a reasonable price, could make a lot of difference to the mag surviving. At least worth a try. After all, how much extra is it going to cost to raise it up the flag pole and give it a flutter?

And CC INK at $19USD a year for 12 copies, I don't even think about the price. It is simply dirt cheap. And if they aren't making money, then they would have stopped doing this.

BTW I would love to see CC INK's sales figures and profit margin. They still bring in the big advertising dollar.

Cheers Don...

===========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Forgive please. Who is CC INK?

Reply to
David Eather

".. with many of the magazine's original writers already onboard, we?ll be lighting a fire.."

It sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. ;-)

Is DL in there for his $19.63?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Circuit Cellar. A magazine that started as a column in Byte magazine

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The page doesn't say it will be a paper Magazine, does say special print editions.

"Charter Subscriber: Pledge $25 or more and receive a THREE-year subscription (covers both iPad and desktop editions) PLUS the collectible special print editions " If print editions come it I suspect it will be later. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I'm always leery of such "front-end" schemes. I'll never forget receiving a "special-feature" update offer from PCWrite. Barely had my check cleared the bank and they went belly-up :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

azine

Is the Circuit Cellar still around? (Best part of Byte magizine)

Reply to
George Herold

Yes sorry:

Steve Ciacia started it many moons ago. I have it from Issue number #4, which isn't bad for an Australian. :-)

Ohhps. I just checked. It looks like $38 a year now, cheaper if you get 2 years. Shows you how much I worry about the price. I guess it had to rise after so many years.

Cheers Don...

=============

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

isn't bad for an Australian. :-)

many years.

Kind of expected the price would get jacked up after Elektor bought it (was it around a year ago?). Has the quality of articles changed? I don't get much chance to read that kind of magazine these days.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

isn't bad for an Australian. :-)

years.

many years.

I just checked my March 2010 renewal, and it was $19, so yes, it has sky rocketed since then.

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Since any pledge is made with a credit card and the credit card not charged until they have secured enough pledges, it seems relatively scam proof.

Of course they could produce some issues using really worthless articles................

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

and they get your full credit card details which they can use or sell later

Reply to
David Eather

... "Phil Allison"

Since any pledge is made with a credit card and the credit card not charged until they have secured enough pledges, it seems relatively scam proof.

** Depends on the nature of the scam.

Widen your focus.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Popular Electronics was combined with Nuts and Volts magazine

Regards; Tom.

Reply to
tnlockyer