The Obamas' New House

You don't have to tell me anything about her. Hopefully the witch is gone out of politics forever, and good riddance. And all her lackey sycophant political allies, like that insane beach ball piece of trash, Kaine, are finished too.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Doing constitutional law at Harvard probably means that he has a better grasp of US constitutional law than most presidents have had - and most Republicans.

Republican resent him because he knows better than they do - not that that is difficult to manage.

The Republicans don't like educated presidents, who talk about stuff that Republicans can't understand, like judicial independence.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

-new-house-photos/

r.

Obama at least managed to get through several elections with the same campa ign team. Trump revised his a couple of times in his only campaign so far.

Trump may have been presented as brilliant manager in "The Apprentice" but even John Larkin should be able to work out that "reality TV" isn't to be r elied on, particularly when a long string of bankruptcies tells a different story.

Trump University may have been better than Tulane, but Tulane is still in b usiness.

and

The Arab Spring owes more to global warming than anything Obama might have done, or actually did. There haven't been many suggestions as to how any br illiant statesman might have prevented the civil war in Syria, or brought i t to a rapid end. Dubbya might have suggested an invasion if there were any oil in Syria, but Syria isn't great tank country.

Obama reads the newspapers, and knows that Trump has Russian contacts - he' s more setting him up for impeachment than giving advice which he expects t o be taken seriously.

Telling different audiences different things is a tactic that no mainstream politician is willing to risk. If you get elected, you've promised to do c ontradictory things for different groups, which makes life very difficult.

Trump never expected to win the nomination, let alone the presidency, and h e's now got a problem, if one that he's familiar with. He's famously litigi ous

which does suggest that he often makes agreements that he later regrets.

Most Republicans say the same thing, until they get into office. Nothing ne w there. The US problem is that it only collects 30% of the GDP in taxes, a nd can't pay for the collective services - universal health care, universal education, effective social security - that you to keep an advanced indust rial economy running efficiently.

In the case of health care the US has managed to set up a non-universal sys tem that costs more per head than even the most expensive of the universal systems running in other advanced industrial countries, and delivers poorer health care than any of them (based on population-wide statistics).

John Larkin is almost as far out of touch with reality than Jim Thompson.

Donald Trump got his crucial edge by appealing to the ex-productive people in the rust-belt. Donald Trump isn't a politician - in the sense of ever ha ving been elected - and he isn't a lawyer (as can be seen from the enthusia sm with which he goes to court) but he is a reality-TV star.

He doesn't have enough sense to realise that the environment he's going to have to operate in as president isn't going to be engineered to make him lo ok good.

Tom Hanks playing Forest Gump for the press.

Janet Yellen knows what she is doing - in an area where you know very littl e - and can almost certainly be relied on not to provoke a stock-market col lapse. Trump is less predictable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It was more a slap in the face to Dubbya than an award to Obama.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Kissinger didn't actually start the Vietnam War, and he eventually played a large part in the negotiations that ended it. Peace-makers get rewarded for making peace, not for being squeaky-clean.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

a-new-house-photos/

Arafat may have started and prosecuted the war that he had a part in ending , but at least he had contributed to the peace process. Obama's Peace Prize was primarily for not being Dubbya.

Al Gore and the entire Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. That was for a rather longer term effort. By the same token the denialist propaganda machine should have to front up to the international war crime court for t heir contribution to the drought that ignited the Arab Spring.

Prizes always work that way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

More than krw, if perhaps less than krw thinks he knows.

Krw is predictably right wing - he is irrational, in as far as you can say that about somebody whose though processes are entirely predictable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nobody anywhere needs to give a shit about your opinion - it has clearly be en bought and paid for, making it entirely predictable.

One wonders what right-wing propaganda factory is serving up Julian Barnes stock of YouTube snippets. Even when there is a direct link to what the You Tube links claim to be serving up, Julian Barnes gives us the YouTube versi on - presumably because it has (or could be) edited to be a bit more "effec tive".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

a-new-house-photos/

xurious-private-homes/

tors,

forms

eday they

Go to Scandinavia or Germany. Ask the Syrians trying to make their way ther e now. Australia has a bunch of refugees who tried to get to Australia ille gally, which means that Australia is never going to let them settle here. W e've tried to palm them off on other countries, but most them didn't fancy Cambodia or Papua-New Guinea. The latest candidate dumping ground is the US A which they do seem to find more attractive than Cambodia.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's the US Republican party for you, which explains why Trump beat out a ll the mainstream Republican candidates to become the Republican candidate for the US presidency, and was able to win the election (at least in the el ectoral college) despite nominally being a Republican.

To be fair, it was US big business that did the selling out, rather than th e Republican Party as such, and while the Koch brothers and the like do hav e considerable influence in the Republican Party, even the lunatic Tea Part y faction isn't right wing enough to keep the Koch brothers entirely happy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

)

Trump couldn't be relied on to tell the same story twice from one outing to the next, to the point that most TV clips seemed to be split-screen displa ys of him contradicting himself, but in Julian Barnes' universe, Hillary Cl inton has a credibility problem.

Since Julian Barnes never posts links to actually web-sites, but rather to YouTube links that purport to display authentic websites, his opinion on cr edibility isn't worth all that much.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Canada took in over 25,000 Syrian refugees. No problems so far as I can see. And 25,000+ people are far happier than they were before, so sounds like a win for them, and Canada gets a bunch of nice people (and probably a few jerks, but they are everywhere anyway) which is win for us.

Heck I'm an immigrant to my province (BC) as I moved here from Ontario back in the 70s.

My Grandmother immigrated to Canada from Scotland and my other side of the family were mostly Loyalists...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Well, the president represents the country.

How could it come to such a choice in such a large and populous country? Surely that indicates that there is a systemic problem?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

...and your point is? You don't get a vote for a reason.

Yes, there certainly is. A government run by elites who don't give a shit for the real people. It's not a unique problem, in the world. A revolution, every once in a while, is a good thing. '

As revolutions go, this is pretty tame. Think of it as small quake that relieves the strain, delaying "the big one". ...but it's only a delay.

Reply to
krw

What problem?

lunatic fringe electronics

We have self-government because freedom is more important than making the right decisions, but people like to believe we have it because 'the people know best' because that inflates their egos. People are morons on average, and their egos are so inflated by the democratic process that they don't even feel responsible for electing the wrong people when they eventually come to see them for what they are. This means they never feel any pressure to try harder to learn and make better choices.

I see it as a problem with human nature, not with the system. We had slavery and Jim Crowe because of human nature too, but black people see that as a failure of the system. I't's a pattern.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The dominant pattern is that power corrupts. Allowing uneducated ignorant deplorables (like the people who grow our food and repair our roads and keep our lights on) to vote allows them to occasionally throw the bums out.

I suspect the recent turnover of the Internet to international control is, at heart, the start of supressing the "false news" that misinforms those ignorant masses.

lunatic fringe electronics

en

.

I tend to believe Churchill on the matter of democracy and good governmen t.

---------(quote)----------- We accept in the fullest sense of the word the settled and persistent will of the people. All this idea of a group of supermen and super-planners, such as we see before us, ?playing the angel,? as the French call it, and making the masses of the people do what they think is good for them, without any check or correction, is a violation of democracy. Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time; but there is the broad feeling in our country that the people should rule, continuously rule, and that public opinion, expressed by all constitutional means, should shape, guide, and control the actions of Ministers who are their servants and not their masters.

---------(end quote)--------

That also means President-Elect Trump should also be a servant of the people and not their master. I just have my doubts about his ability to accept that role.

Your job, as Americans, will be to remind him...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

As a member of the aristocracy, that was a cool thing for Churchill to say.

I think he'll be OK, possibly great. The press is saying such awful and absurd things about him, one has to dig around to be optimistic.

The NY Times, Time Magazine, the Associated Press, are doing huge damage to themselves in their cover-to-cover ludicrous dishonest anti-Trump insult rants. It was that sort of betrayal of honest journalism that got him elected, so he is probably happy to have them continue.

Well, enough political fun for now. Back to editing this ghastly 30 page schematic.

lunatic fringe electronics

Compared to Barak and Hillary, he'll be *great*.

If the whiners did something other than piss and moan, break stuff, and hurt people, they might be listened to. They won't, and so they won't. "Wolf"

Reply to
krw